3 Things Better About Toolstation

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by goldenboy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I find the SF website stock check a pain as well if you have more than one item to check branch stock

Enter postcode, select branch, check if in stock, but you can only check 1 item

So another item, again post code, select branch, blah blah blah ..... too much faff if you have several items to check

TS, select branch, then all item
    searches automatically show stock level at that branch - so much quicker

I wonder if this system could be implemented by SF one day :)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not having to buy a pack of 5, when you can buy just the 1 that you need.

KIAB likes this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

"Do you have a Screwfix card?"

"No and I dont want one"

"I have to scan another one for you. For data protection"

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Do T S have a TS Communities Forum ?

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

What I will say is B Q is worse they have a trade point for any body !! Pensioners, people on the dole, school kids, the undead, D Trump

Jord86 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That infuriates me.:mad:

Other day I wanted two 40mm solvent weld couplers, only available in a bag of 5, must put a lot of peeps off using SF.
    Ended up in TS as they sell them seperately, & if buying 5, it's cheaper than SF.

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No, and for a very good reason.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Going way back in the day. Before trade counters Screwfix used to sell everything in singles and do volume discounts.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Those were the days & better.:(

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Photocopied stock lists!

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Haven't got any Toolstation stores here in this part of UK (N. Ireland), but we have the Screwfix thankfully.
    The Plumbfix side gives me the advantage of going to my own counter, away from the builder, joiner, painter and DIY idiots. It is nice when I leave, to notice all the folk in the ordinary Screwfix side crowding the store and knowing I avoid all that. And I can have a tea or coffee if I want.
    I just wish Plumbfix would give me extra discount on all items, not just some, plus more items should be in stock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  12. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I went to toolstation today for the first time after they opened one close to my local SF.

No queue at all - the queues in SF are crazy at the moment, and as said by others, click and collect means I still have to queue, so why bother?

Prices were better. 3 - 4 years ago prices weren't bad, now I use Amazon, my local independent and other chains a lot more.

Visit was in and out in a few minutes, and I came out with what I needed, straight from stock, for less money than I was expecting to pay, with a brew to boot.

Screwfix still have the better range IMO and some decent own brand tools that are useful from time to time. But competition is hotting up and I know I spend about 1/5th of what I used to at SF now.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I got the best of both, having SF and TS just yards away from each other......nice

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here, get free hot choccy in TS & then wander across to SF.:D

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Too much workwear on display in Screwfix too.

Full of Rico Suave pretend builders picking out their latest designer threads to go with their 18 plate (on the never never) spotless pickups.

And endless gardening gears and piles of cheap toolboxes.

Wheras TS has a coffee machine, a bin, a pile of catalogues and mostly an ancient Bosch radio playing Smooth FM.

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

1. My TS is closer
    2. Often TS is cheaper
    3. There's normally no one else in TS so go straight to the counter
    4. As mentioned above, checking stock in store is a lot easier with TS.
    5. TS is next to Wickes
    6. Car parking is easier.

17. facilities

facilities Guest

Sparkie, upto 2 years ago I had worked for over 50 years, and yes I am now a Pensioner, I must say I’m not overly keen on the group you have put me with ie. people on the dole (although I am sure some of these are short term looking actively looking for a job) the undead, & D Trump, don’t think you really meant school kids,

I don’t visit Trade point, but will do my best to keep out of your way at SF, perhaps SF Peter can have a word and reserve an hour for all the old codgers one night perhaps around 10.00pm?

So if my suggestion comes about I will see how it goes for a few months and pm you, just so you know what’s coming when you are of age;)

KIAB likes this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

TS and SF a stones throw apart here. TS always quiet.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Prehaps SF should have a discount card for you, like B&Q Diamond card, which can be used on a Wedesday.:):D

facilities likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Never any trolleys in B&Q/Tradepoint on a Wednesday. They're all being used as walking aids by Facilities and his chums.

Only kidding Facs.....

Jord86, KIAB and facilities like this.