3 Things Better About Toolstation

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by goldenboy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. facilities

facilities Guest

What a great idea, are you listening Peter (please pass on to Mr SF) the 10% has come in very handy the last couple of years as we have moved house and have spent a lot of money at B & Q, only downside is the difficulty getting around the isles, what with the mobility scooters & Zimmers clogging things up on a Wednesday :p

2. facilities

facilities Guest

:mad:

Anyway Willy I’ll have you know I have the body of a 25 year old:)

Only trouble is he’s asked for it back:(

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Set your branch ...

Depending on which branch I am using at any particular time, I will set that as my preference and it is easy enough. If it comes up with nil stock r collect next day, clicking the "change Store" will bring up the nearest 6 where you will automatically see which have the item in stock.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Didn't expect to see this thread still around when I got home, I'm not complaining mind.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers mate, may well be my error then it seems. Will take a look tonight

Apologies Screwfix ,,,,, they’re getting a bit of a bashing on this posts ....... what has Golden Balls started :p

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cannot believe this thread is still live.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You can knock SF and its ok, but mention I**** and its gone faster than DAs return.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I do wish SF stocked Everbuild products,especially 406 stabilishing solution, & stop selling solvent weld fittings & other thing in packs of 5's or whatever size, must put a lot of peeps off our host.

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

My point is why have a trade card and trade point for people who are not trade why should people who are not trade who dont buy alot get the same trade discounts as trade, i do alot for pensioners and help out at my partners care home although scumbags who claim benefit i dont have time for who go to to BQ get trade and work fiddly

KIAB likes this.
  10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Maybe the way you started the thread and the build up was a little like throwing the gauntlet down, and they thought ooer missus. Fair play to SF, hopefully they've let it run in order to look at the feedback and hopefully act on it.

goldenboy, KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I just wish SF had a trade section only, yes they have plumbfix but it would be far better if it was just Tradefix and with a bigger floor area than Plumbfix. Like loads on here, i'm completely fed up with standing in line behind a numpty deciding what to buy. I want to be in and out as fast as possible, not deciding if i should just slash my own wrists and make it all end there and then :mad:

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I agree too. The silly Plumbfix and Electricfix part should be a Tradefix area.

Free tea and coffee, truly special trade only offers, freebies that kind of thing.

Saturday mornings in Screwfix are just stupid. Full of people without a clue.

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In this day and age, to be honest, that's unfair.
    Yes, the peeps serving us have no idea about what they are selling and have little to no knowledge of what they are selling.
    That isn't their fault though, it's down to economics and the company they work for. For general members of the public, i think that's expected and accepted.
    Trade though is different, which is why i would like to see just a Trade side. As long as peeps behind the counter are kept on the trade side they will learn and know what to do.....................they might even stay working for SF longer than the summer holidays...............................god there's a thought SF.........................COME AND MAKE A CAREER WITH US.
    Just think, maybe one day we could walk into SF and order stuff just by saying "i'll have 1000 35mm no4 pozi screws please and the guy/girl behind the counter would actually know what you meant.

KIAB likes this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

B&Q tried something along those lines when they first opened their 'Depot' stores (IIRC). They used tradesmen, recently retired or looking for something different, to patrol the aisles and offer expert help to customers. I don't know if it still happens but the number of times I get collared by some kindly person to advise on this or that (because I'm wearing trade workwear) makes me think not. If I have to go there is generally very first thing so that I avoid all that.

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Travis perks do the Dickies/Dockers duo.

That is on the counter is a youngish fellow in chinos, a polo shirt and logo. He will try and baffle you with dodgy sciency talk, and try to sell you some silly product at a ridiculous price.

Go down the yard and old Fred, who's in t shirt and denims, will tell you how to do the job and show you the right materials for a quarter of the price of the Charlie on the desk.

17. facilities

facilities Guest

The whole idea of having peeps with no idea serving is cheapness, theory being they can employ anyone on minimum wage who just have to look a number up,

I first came across this in the early 70s when I was contracting in a huge American owned factory (Ingersoll Rand) for any part you needed you had to look the part up in a massive book find the part number which was something like a 16 digit reference comprised of letters and numbers and give it to the storeman who then went to a bin where said part should be,

Quite often the system fouled up, I may have wanted 40 5/8th washers stock was showing there should be 60 in the bin but the bin was empty, I couldn’t say to the store man ok give me 40 3/4 washers, no I had to look up another ref number

But the guy at the stores was much cheaper to employ and if he had a day off they could put the guy sweeping up in there to replace him

So ideally yes have an extrade serving but be prepared to pay more for your parts

Also they could put a girl or woman in there who knew diidly squat about engineering and was on less than the storeman, (agreed can’t get away with that now though)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had that in several SF I use, now I pop in to SF between 2.30pm & 4pm (school collecting time) Monday to Friday, & it's empty.:)

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There are also times when they cannot advise you - and should not.

For example "What cable and breaker do I need for my new cooker or shower?" If they gave an answer which turns out to be wrong, then SF and the employee could be liable.