qualifications and getting a foot on the ladder

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Barron86, May 5, 2018.

1. Barron86

Barron86 New Member

Hi everyone,
    been working in pubs and restaurants for 15 years everything from pot wash to manager. I'm looking for a change in career path, over the years I've become familiar with what a professional kitchen would need fitting and want to start training to install commercial and domestic kitchens.

I suppose what I'm asking is where to start, I've seen all these "intensive" courses promising to make you fully qualified in 2 weeks for large amounts of cash but from what I've been researching it's a load of bull. This is something I would rather spend a few years studying.

Which avenue should I explore, joinery, plumbing or Electrical?

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

plumbing electrical or carpentry will take over a year and will always include the need to pair up with a tradesman for a year or so which non off those courses will include
    only look at local college route for a reasonable choice

3. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

The short courses are a rip off and you won't learn great deal either. It takes many years to become competent in any trade so i would suggest go to college and learn the theory and try and find a tradesman to work with, maybe for nowt....Become a sponge and take any opportunity to learn and gain experience but dont waste your money on a short course.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yes, the short courses are bull so don't touch with a very long barge pole :D
    I'm not too shure if there is much money as a fitter, fitting commercial kitchens because you would more than likely be directly employed by a company.
    Domestic fitting as a self employed fitter is a lot different. You would be starting as 30+ year old from ground zero. For that reason, as others have said, a local college for a joinery course would be a good start. Don't worry about plumbing or electrics at this stage. Plumbing is easy to pick up as you work on jobs. Electrics you won't have to worry about because you would have to be a qualified sparks in the first place, which you probably won't have the time to become.
    As big all and 14th edition have said, once you find a joinery course, finding a kitchen fitter to pair up with is the most important thing. I doubt the fitter would expect you to work for nothing, but certainly in the early stages, don't expect anything more than minimum wage. If you use college and on the job training and are prepared to get yourself "tooled up" as and when you can afford it, going into kitchen fitting at your stage of life can work. It will be some years though before you can demand top wack for your labour.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Jord86 likes this.
  5. Barron86

Barron86 New Member

Thanks for the advice, Minimum wage doesn't bother me that much, hospitality has very few people who make a lot more than it. even as a salaried manager I was bringing in £19000 a year for 60-70 hour weeks. i'm just after a skill to call my own really. Took Business Management in uni which had module in Project management. Provided I get good enough and gather the knowledge I need I could combine the two later in life, but we are talking 50's. Only 18 years away lol

6. Being a pen pusher or desk jockey does not get any harder in your 50's.
    Humping about heavy worktops and kitchen units does.

Jord86, WillyEckerslike and kitfit1 like this.
  7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Well, good on ya i say. One thing i did forget to mention was that a good kitchen fitter has interchangeable skills, that is between shop fitting and exhibition building...................both of those require lots of traveling, maybe not something to be doing when in your 50's :D

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

My back is a testament to that :eek:

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

And despite designer worktops getting thinner - they're also getting heavier....

Deleted member 11267 and kitfit1 like this.
  10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, i'd defy most teenagers trying to lift a 2m length of 20mm Acrylic on there own......................i'm 60 :eek: but still have to do it. A 4m x 900 laminate breakfast bar is a breeze compared to that :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. Barron86

Barron86 New Member

Lift with your knees fellas :D
    Heavy lifting doesn't bother me either, my wife is indecisive when it comes to where she likes the house furniture so i'm the dogs body around the house

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In 1999 I had a prolapsed disc. The cause wasn't lifting worktops as such, but had everything to do with carrying a 4.1m 40mm top and twisting at my hip to maneuver it (when i fitted on my own). It was extremely painful for about 3 months, but an osteopath sorted it in 4 visits. Only get rare bits of sciatica now :D