Outraged of Mayfair

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, May 11, 2018.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Blimey you used to be able to pick up dirt cheap HSS drills in a five pack - now it's two packs and the price seems to have doubled!

Ok, the Titan ones weren't exactly quality, but if they bust you just got some more.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL IN A HANDCART!!!

2. alan a wilson

alan a wilson New Member

Hi Coloumb, I re-sharpen my own blunt drills....cost saving exercise ;-). Regarding the handcart, as long as the cart is sliding side ways into hell, with smoke steaming from the wheels and I'm on the end of a quality bottle of brandy with a blonde on my arm....then sign me up :) :)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. alan a wilson

alan a wilson New Member

Yep....wood bits (spade bits), HSS bits and masonry ones too.

KIAB likes this.
  5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I've never sharpened a drill bit in my life as I've always considered them disposable, but the last time I picked up a box of spade hole cutters and drill bits (Irwin - not the cheapest), I was a little taken aback, the prices seem to be doubling every 12 months.
    What do you sharpen yours on KIAB, I had an email from Rutland the other day with and electric drill sharpener for 30 quid, don't think it would do spade bits.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Scheppach tiger 2500 whetstone with a drill sharpening attachment, can adjust it for various tip angles.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Thanks guys but sharpening aint gonna help a snapped drill :(

8. Hollie

Hollie Member

How did you snap a drill?

9. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

You didn't specify which 'blonde '
    Be careful what you wish for
    Beelzebub may choose for you :D
    2500.jpg
    Would you resharpen your drills with this guy

PhilSo

DIY womble likes this.
  10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Oh well, at least he’ll have the bottle of Bulgarian brandy.

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hi Lee/Holly, just for the record, if you use a very small drill, say anything less than 2mm, it's very easy to bend and break the drill if your drilling into metal. I like mucking around with vintage stuff so often end up drilling out rusted screws and bolts so I get through a fair amount of drills.

Just so we are both clear at the outset, I have no shadow of a doubt that this will shortly decent into farce given your previous comments about @Risteard giving me a "woody" and your general level of trolling. In fact, it's only a question of time before SF admin ban your latest incarnation, but just for now, there you go, I have answered your question.

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Col....stop being a pessimistic old misanthrope.
    That's my job...;)
    RS

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Must be my age, I have always had a bench grinder and I have always resharpened my drills, if 4 mm or over, under 4 mm eye sight not good enough so they go in the bin. I also adjust angle according to what I am drilling, and a broken 10 mm drill can be resharpened however it takes some time so not over heated.

I also have saw files, and saw setting tool. However I will admit do not bother sharpening blade drills, or masonry drills, did try but does not really seem to work.

I will admit resharpening drills with a hand grinder is not easy on your own, you really do need some one else to turn the handle.

DIY womble likes this.
  14. spinlondon

Is this a wind up?

fillyboy likes this.
  15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Highly unlikely, I have the same. The saw files give you the correct angle on the front of the teeth and the saw set the correct angle from the vertical for the teeth.

Sharpening on a hand grinder pretty easy for HSS drills, although getting older makes sharpening smaller drills difficult to say the least due to poor eyesight. Masonry drills require a green stone.

Kind regards

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'm with MGW. blunt drills get waved in front of the bench grinder. I can make a reasonable job freehand. Have done for years.

17. spinlondon

So the hand grinder is not a wind up?

18. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

upload_2018-5-19_19-9-33.jpeg

19. spinlondon

That’s a bench grinder.
    For grinding benches, obviously.

20. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member