Veritas Alarm Issue. Battery?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Trenty12, May 8, 2018.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

If it's a Texecom just invoke hold off mode, or, put a battery on it temporarily, or let it sound for 15 minutes, if it's a fairly new one it'll shut up, as it should do.

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It's a transformer, on a Veritas-my offer still stands:D

3. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Im not sure it is a texecom, how can i tell and where would that setting be? I cant use the battery (assuming you mean in the main panel) as its lost some charge. Is it possible to charge it up using one of the other outputs on the pcb if i only leave it connected for a few minutes or is that a silly question? :)

4. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

You think i should try a transformer then rather than replace the whole unit? Seen some on ebay for a tenner, not all are veritas though some are universal

Edit: Having looked again, PSU and transformer look to be the same thing?

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Tex will be sending a transformer only I reckon, as I said earlier, the main pcb actually contains the rectification bits to supply 12v dc to the gubbins-I'd be highly surprised if they supplied a pcb as well tbh.
    Your battery would probably still have enough charge to shut the bell up, try it, worst case scenario it ain't, but then it should shut up in 10-15 mins anyway, if it's a fairly recent sounder.

You stated you measured voltage out of the transformer, therefore it's working, but no voltage off the main pcb/battery leads, no voltage from the rectification circuit/main board, so the transformer appears ok, the main pcb-not.

6. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Get ya!

Just tried the hold off mode but the panel gave out a little grunty beep, assuming that means its an invalid option. Will try it tomorrow at a more respectable time.

I actually noticed one of the settings was for how long before the bell stopped (default 15 mins) wonder if i can set that to 1?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hold off mode for a Tex sounder just means toggling the strobe on/off three or so times, the comfort leds on the sounder will change pattern, and then one can remove power to it without it going ape poo;)
    Keep us informed eh :D

8. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Ok so after all that, i turned the mains off (with panel battery disconnected) and the external sounder didnt even go off (bar a little whimper for 2 seconds) guess the batteries dead in that too? Could that we causing the unset light to flash or is that just a separate thing i need to change?

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Separate.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dead & dying batteries can throw up some very strange faults in alarms.:)

11. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Managed to get my hands on a Veritas Excel but wont have chance to mess with it until later in the week. Plan will just be to wire up like for like, swap one of my keypads for the digital one and hope for the best!

12. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Ok so switched over to the veritas excel and changed one of the keypads to the LCD one...all seems ok i think. Only thing stumping me now (heads gone!) is setting up my part set so that the PIR upstairs is excluded. If i part set from upstairs now and walk along the landing, when the PIR catches me the alarm goes off instantly?

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Turn off the correponding zone for the landing in part set 1 options 51.
    And if you have a pir that will pick you up as you walk downstairs set that to entry in part, options 20-24.

14. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Spot on! Sorted it. Thanks for all your help

Rulland likes this.
  15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Glad we could be of assistance :)

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Trenty12 - have you considered getting a PC-Com interface lead and the Veritas UDL software which will provide local programming access through a PC? I believe the Excel has the capability for this

17. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

To be honest i havent looked into the comms interfaces yet, not sure if i would benefit from anything? Do you think i would?

We just use the alarm for very basic things e.g. full set when leaving the house, part set at night sometimes....maybes thats because im not aware of the other benefits?

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I can program a Veritas completely in 5-10 minutes via the keypad, I know I'm used to them, but even using a pc, you have to know just what parameters one needs to adjust and why, it wouldn't really be so beneficial to a Tex novice imho :oops:

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The software can, for a novice, make it a little easier as they will not need to decipher what a keypad is telling them. And a screen shot - not for you Rulland.

upload_2018-5-17_14-26-35.png

I only specify Premier Elite - yes a little more expensive however with Ricochet, good connectivity (SmartCom or ComIP) there is so much more to offer including adding in Smoke/Fire detectors, remote alerting &c.

Rulland likes this.
  20. Marcus Bramley

Marcus Bramley New Member

Hi, sorry to hijack/resurrect this oldish thread!
    I have a Veritas 8C panel, whilst doing some work on the house I had to power down, external sounder started going off, so I thought the panel battery had gone.
    Popped to Screwfix to get a new battery, fitted but still got the same issue.
    13vdc from the battery alone. 0v from the panel/leads with battery disconnected?
    Everything else works as designed - pir's, internal sounder, bell box. Etc.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks