Replacement coolerBox lead

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pde100, May 14, 2018.

1. pde100

pde100 Member

Hello

Sorry if this question is too simple for this forum but here goes. I have a cooler box from halfords and the power lead has broken. The original had a cigarette lighter end to power it as below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009L3Y...t=&hvlocphy=1006949&hvtargid=pla-420088675096

However, I want to plug it into the mains so ideally want a plug fitting. Can i use a standard figure of 8 C7 lead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Figure-o...612133?hash=item23251e83a5:g:gQQAAOSwe-FU81SY

Or is it not 12V or not correct current?

thanks in advance

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Crickey no ........ don’t replace lead and plug direct into mains :eek:

If it runs from car Cig lighter socket, then it’s designed to operate from 12V (as you probably expect)

You can run it from a mains transformer which pumps out 12 v though. Look on cooler box and there will be a label or stamped into the plastic a ratings plate. Will give you the voltage and amperage it’s designed to operate from

Then simply match up a transformer with same output figures - loads listed online (eBay, Amazon, etc)

How are you planning on connecting new lead to cool box ?

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That will change the function from a cooler to a heater - with added flames!

Just replace the broken lead and add a suitably rated 230v to 12v (cigarette lighter) transformer/converter

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. pde100

pde100 Member

great thanks very much, The plan is to have this in the corner of a tent connected to an electric hookup so I think I will also need a cigarette lighter to main plug adaptor too?

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

No you can't, cool boxes need DC, transformers give out AC, often the lead can be reversed in a cool box so it can either cool or warm items inside.

My cool box states some thing like 5A, that is a massive amount of power at 12 volt, it uses as much power as my fridge/freezer, if not more. I did have a Woolworths unit with both 12 volt and 240 volt options, but the EEC made it illegal to sell them with the converter built in, so now you need a separate unit. They were made illegal because the peltier system is so inefficient, however I note they are on sale again. See here not sure if rules changed or Amazon don't care about rules?

[​IMG] how it can state
    I don't know, when my fridge/freezer used less power?

7. Jon Rome

Jon Rome New Member

I wish my freezer only used 48 watts. 480 more like. It has a dirty great compressor to cool a much greater volume than 12 volt cooler box.

8. Jon Rome

Jon Rome New Member

I really don't think cooler boxes with built in power units were made illegal because of their inefficiency, Health & Safety more like.

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

EU rules state the efficiency minimum for an electric mains powered fridge, we have class A, A+ and A++ but the peltier cooling is more like class D, if multi-fuel then rules don't apply, so one designed for a caravan work on gas as well so OK.