Sealer applied to porcelain but now any water turns tiles white

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Matt Perry, May 14, 2018.

1. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Member

Hi,

My bathroom fitter finally finished the tiles last week after a bit of mess up. He left the grout on the tiles for about two hours as he basically finished two walls then went back to clean. It didn't come off and he spent literally the next 5 days scrubbing and scrubbing the tiles. It was eventually acceptable to me that they were clean so he sealed them. The sealer bottle said to leave it for 60 minutes but we gave it a good 24 hours.

A day later when first using the new bathroom any water on the tiles at all they turned immediately white. Both the floor and wall tiles, which the floor ones didn't have the grout issue do exactly the same. The wall tiles are grey and floor black, not that it matters. Literally a drop on the floor tiles and it goes white in about 3 or 4 minutes like it's reacting to something.

It looks absolutely horrible at the moment and I expect the whole job will need to be redone.

Does anyone have any advice?

Matt

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What sealer did he use? Sounds like it might be PVA! I thought the whole point of tiles is that they don't need sealing.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Porcelain tiles do need sealing, to stop them staining.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I defer to know it all.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

6. The vast majority of porcelain tiles do not need sealing.
    Know it all is wrong.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  7. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Member

8. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Member

On the advice of the tile shop where we got the tiles, it was Lithofin Multi-Seal and water-based sealant.

I wonder if we can actually get it off now or are they ruined?

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

How many coats were applied? Did a bit of googling, the tiles going white could be an indication that water is getting through the sealant into the tiles, so if its just one coat applied you may be need 1 or two more to properly seal it.

Apparently 75% of the sealant needed with be applied on the first coat...total of 3 coats needed perhaps.

Also....

Advice:
    All porous surfaces should be impregnated with the appropriate Lithofin product prior to sealing with Lithofin MULTI-SEAL

Was this done too?

Directions for Use

The surface to be treated must be clean and completely dry. Apply Lithofin MULTI-SEAL undiluted and spread evenly with a brush, roller or sponge. Two to three coats will generally be needed in order to achieve a uniform appearance. Allow one to two hours drying time between coats.

10. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Member

I'll check with him how many coats but the bizarre thing is it goes white within about 2 minutes. I don't think an impregnator was used as the bottle only says "On a highly absorbent surface such as terracotta, we recommend an impregnator"... The tile shop can't understand either and have suggested that they will send a representative out to verify it all, so I am getting somewhere.

Attached Files:

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's about enough time for water to soak through the slightly permeable sealant and hit the tiles.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apologies Dr B, I lost my connection,plus a bit of my sentence,which was badly worded for some:rolleyes:, porcelain tiles don't need to be sealed, but can be sealed to stop staining,make them no slip,etc, it's same for quarry,ceramic,natural stone,etc.

Also sealing will protect the grout from staining or discolouring.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  13. upload_2018-5-14_14-27-16.png

14. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Not my area of expertise but you say he scrubbed them for 5 days. What did they look like prior to sealing? were they glazed etc before and he has removed some of whatever the top surface was? Your second picture looks like a drip of something- is that the appearance after contact with a single drip of water or is the whole tile been wetted and that the only area that is affected?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Normally most are factory sealed.

16. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I'm just wondering if the 5 days of scrubbing off the grouting material has similarly scrubbed off the top and consequently the sealing of the tile?