Sewer smell in only 1 of 3 bathrooms

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by prewor, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. prewor

prewor New Member

Hi. I have 3 bathrooms in all of which the toilet sink and shower are connected to a vent. I am getting sewer smells in only one bathroom and only from the shower. The problem bathroom is the lowest of the three bathrooms connected to the vent. Why do I only get a smell in this one shower and how can I fix it? Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Check your manhole first for blockages.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What sort of vent is fitted? Is it blocked? or if an AAV, is it operational?

Is the water seal being pulled out? What trap is fitted to the shower? Can you gain access and see if it is full?

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Do you know for sure that the shower that smells has a u-bend or some other form of trap on it.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if theres a toilet or a sink in there check the" u"bends has water in it
    if you dont use them for a while they may dry out

6. prewor

prewor New Member

I have run water in the sink and shower to ensure the traps are full but there is still a smell in the shower. The smell is coming from the shower as when I cover the plug hhole with a plastic disc the smell goes away. I don't know for sure that a trap was fitted when the shower was refurbished and it is now all tiled in so inaccessible. The vent runs up outside the house - I'm not a plumber but to me it's just a wide pipe and not an AAV.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If there's a trap fitted and its not dry, it won't smell, if no trap it will, you covering it over and the smell going does suggest that they may not be a trap fitted.

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

prewor, you say you had a shower that was refurbished?
    When?
    By who?
    If it was reasonably recent, get back in touch with the guy, & ask if your shower has a trap.
    If he doesn't know, ask him to come back & check.

Just a thought.