Retro fit vertical cladding to rsj web and flange

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John2756, May 16, 2018.

1. John2756

John2756 New Member

29BC8F56-3D46-4B7E-A4E2-3E6DCECE0D36.jpeg Hi

I’d like fix vertical cladding to the outside of an outbuilding. My problem is how to best fix the cladding’s vertical counter batterns over a long run of about 5m of facade between the roof line and rsj lintel with only a void between them?

When you look at the front of the building it’s essentially single story, with 2 brick walls on left and right with a rsj spanning both. And then 2 set of patio doors with some widows inbetween the doors. The rsj is the lintel over both doors and the windows. The roof has a slight pitch with the apex in the middle.

The rsj is currently dressed/protected by a long metal flashing that runs the length of the facade. I want to replace the metal flashing with vertical timber cladding (and then with a much smaller flashing).

Please see the attached picture showing the partially removed brown metal flashing.

I feel I need to fix timber the the web and top flange of the rsj to give me adequate fixing points for the vertical batterns.

Problems
    1. I can’t easily get to the other side of the web to fix a nut to a bolt.

What is a suitable alternative to a bolt?

2. I can’t easily drill a perpendicular hole into the top flange.

As suggestions on how to secure timber to the top flange?

Most of the load will be vertical but there will be some wind shear.

thanks. Photo attached.

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could use blind bolts,or similar, you need to drill through timber & front of rsj,no need for rear access.

[​IMG]

https://www.blindbolt.co.uk/

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. Just fix the timber with a Hilti gun to the steel,no need to then try and drill holes.
    Fire in as many fixings that you need.

Jord86 likes this.
  5. John2756

John2756 New Member

Thanks for the link. Nice set of fixings there. The vertical batterns need to be flush with the flange. I can’t picture how I would achieve that.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult.

I just fix a suitable timber beam to rsj using blind bolts, easy than fixing battens.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

just use tec bolts they come with drill tip on end and are socket headed screws

8. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

sorry just read your message again if you cant drill then only option is to shot fire to steel as doddie said

9. John2756

John2756 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can drill into the web.

I can’t drill perpendicular to the flange because the roof material is obstructing.

Don’t know, but guessing I couldn’t shot fire into the flange either (because of the angle of the nail gun)?

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes you can. Hire a hilti or spit gun with 70mm bolts and fill your boots.