25mm floor difference

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mike allen 86, May 17, 2018.

1. Mike allen 86

Mike allen 86 New Member

morning lads I’ve got a problem and need a solution

I’ve just finished latexing my kitchen floor and a small room 3.0m x 3.0m off the kitchen I have a difference of 25-30mm lower than the kitchen floor. The floor at the minute is 150mm concrete screed and just need to what my options are

Can I sand and cement screed at such a small thickness

Can I plywood straight on top (do I need a dpm)

Or latex up to that thickness

Any helps lads be much appreciated

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sand and cement will crack. For the cost of the plywood, hassle and lack of solidity, I'd personally just bring it up with self levelling compound.

What's going on the floor?

3. Mike allen 86

Mike allen 86 New Member

6mm insulation board then electric heating with 8mm 600x600 tiles

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

In that case, do not use ply. Are you tiling the floor?

RolandK likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. Mike allen 86

Mike allen 86 New Member

Yeah could of done with getting a tiler in but I got the short straw

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Possibly, hence the question, but for a novice(no offence OP) a flat level floor is the way to go. Even a pro would still prob go with a uniform floor. Bedding up floor tiles with adhesive is soul destroying. With adhesive and SLC about the same price, its a no brainer :)

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A flat floor will be your saviour. You may also want to consider using levelling clips for your tiles...helps prevent lippage. Don't forget to back butter your tiles.

9. Mike allen 86

Mike allen 86 New Member

I could of done but I got all the 6mm boards and under floor heating delivered yesterday and only latexed the floor the day before and found the levels way off so was looking for best option with short space of time

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You're really better off using the 6mm boards on a flat level floor anyway. If you're stuck for time, then rapid set SLC is the way to go, but you must work quick and efficiently. If you can, use dots on the floor to see exactly where the low spots are. These are simply bits of plastic packers or wood stuck to the floor showing the desired height/level of the floor after using a straight edge/spirit level. A couple of blobs of silicon will hold them in place. That way, when you pour, you'll have a guide to work to. You could then pour in a few stages...say a couple of smaller pours with rapid set, then one final overall pour of normal set. That way, you can control what you're doing and you're building in a bit of a safety margin if you're not too confident with using rapid set over a large area. Start boarding the next day :)

KIAB likes this.
  11. Mike allen 86

Mike allen 86 New Member

I’ll go with the slc as you said but just a question , what is the reason I couldn’t use plywood on top of the slab with vapour barrier would the ply rot over time

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You're potentially adding some flex to the floor and also causing problems due to the difference in material properties with regards to expansion etc. Get the floor flat and uniform and you're more than half way there. SLC is a bit pricey, but much cheaper than ripping your newly tiled floor up.