Bare plaster paint...... can I?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Westforester, May 17, 2018.

1. Westforester

Westforester Member

Hi. I'm about to start the monmotinious task of painting my freshly plastered extension.

I've just been recommended screwfix bare plaster paint, I dismissed it at first (paying £ for watered down old emulsion) but seems it's actual thick (ish) paint and I'll get decent coverage In 2 coats..

If this is true I'd definetly be up for it..my ceilings are high and complicated.

Any experience?
    Many thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never been a fan of bare plaster paint,after the last lot I got was like cottage cheese, & needed to be watered down.:(

Prefer good matt emulsion (not vinyl matt, different beast) & add water to suit,( depends on quilty of paint, some thick,some runny), to get a mist coat.

CGN likes this.
  3. Westforester

Westforester Member

Thanks a lot. What proportions do you dilute too? Just one voay eh? If it's put on merrily messy will the blotches show through my actual paint?

4. Andy5253

Andy5253 New Member

Hi

In the middle of a renovation at the moment full house plastering is on going throughout. After loads of research settled for the screwfix straight to plaster. So far finished 2 bedrooms in total they had 3 coats 2 of the straight to plaster and 1 dulux trade. Very happy with it. Not sure how it will stand in time. But i am going to use it for the rest of the house. I may use 1 coat of straight to plaster and 1 dulux trade but am guessing it may take 3 coats.

Good luck

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not possible to give exact ratio of water to paint for a mist coat as depends on how thick the emuslion is to start with

Last lot I used was Leyland Contract White Matt, a basic but fine all rounder emuslion, around £14 for 10ltr, but often discounted or sold as 12 ltr speacial for same price

If you have an empty 10ltr paint tub, split the emuslion between the two and start to add clean cold water to one bucket, stirring in well with a flat wide piece of timber (or similiar)

Go for a consistency like single cream - sounds funny but I’ve got an old ladle I use for decanting paint (hate tiping paint pots as always dribbles down sides and I can’t be doing with that mess)

No idea on quantities of water as I just add whilst stirring, then check with my ladle. Like single cream, it should pour nicely off the ladle in a thin stream. So not water like, but not just falling off ladle in clumps - a nice thin stream of paint

Too thick and the mist will just sit on the surface of the plaster, not good, needs to soak into plaster and seal it

Too thin, well it works ok-ish but you will get mega splatter from your roller and a lack of solids in the paint

I’ve said it before - peeps have too high a visual expectation from the mist coat and once dry, are hoping to see a nice solid white wall/ceiling

It won’t (or shouldn’t) happen, if correctly thinned out

It’s a ‘mist coat’, ur sealing the new plaster, ur not painting it (yet)

The mist coat will dry patchy, some sections will be whiter than others, strange shapes appear on the walls, it can look bluddy terrible ....... but rest assured ...... this is normal

Again......, your not yet painting the wall, just sealing the plaster

Another handy factor of the mist coat is it’s ability to highlight any imperfections in the plaster that uv previousely mised

Even after the best plasterer has finished, there’s usually a few small patches that need a rub down or a touch of filler

I would personally very lightly and quickly go over the whole lot with P180 paper and run over with your hand to pick up any rough patches, lumps and bumps

Sounds like a big job but ur not major sanding (hopefully not) just really quickly flying over the surface with your P180, whilst having a close up look

Any bits that need a spot of filler, take pencil from behind your ear and circle for later

Filler of ur choice, sand down, ensure filler perfectly blended into surrounding plaster with no edges between filler/plaster

Next, wipe down dust, damp cloth, frequently rinsed in clean water

On with the mist coat

As above , once dried, any imperfections uv missed will be highlighted by the mist coat

Depending on the finish your trying to achieve, time, patience and other factors, you can attend to these imperfections. So again, filler, sand, spot coat with mist (4” roller)

Don’t be tempted to mix and match your choice of applicator - ie, if using a roller, don’t spot the filler patches by brush, will end up with differant textures between roller and brush

Some peeps go for 2 mist coats, I don’t, don’t think it’s needed if using 2 top coats of decent paint

So again with your topcoats, cut in with say a 2” brush then immediately rolled over as close as you can to architrave, skirts, etc with 4” roller

This will even out texture when you roller wall. I really hate seeing brush marks like a picture frame around light switches, door frames, etc

Anyway, could waffle on forever but back to work - good luck

KIAB likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use several products. Zinnser gardz £30 for 5lt and will do loads although it's clear. My preferred product is acrylic prime undecoat as white and works great and spec says its good for new plaster..I don't thin any paint ever as that's from a bygone age. Paint technology has moved on but still low quality budget products that sell well but I'm no fan of it. Wickes sell a plaster sealer £30 for 5lt and that's OK to and also white.. For coloured walls I get acrylic primer tinted

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing much to add, other than I give wall a quick rub down with 180 paper, first mist coat, fill any imperfection/make good, then a second mist coat to seal any filler,bare plaster before putting on top coats.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha cheers Kiab, (although I’m sure your above points were mentioned in my ‘epic’ ramblings) :)

In fact, something I missed was another light rub over with P180 after mist coat, before lashing on the full fat emuslion

It’s true, it’s all in the prep :D

Along with fairly decent tools (don’t always need to be Purdy) and technique

No point having the best equipment but limited prep, experience and poor technique

A miracle ain’t gonna suddenly happen :cool:

KIAB likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Amstread Contract watered down with a 60/40 ratio worked well for me.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Westforester

Westforester Member

Hi. Excellent rambling... I will use this as instruction thanks. Off to purchase tools now. As for experience and technique I've also ordered a miracle from Amazon so I reckon that will have to do

DIYDave. likes this.