Ceiling paint peeling?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ben100, May 16, 2018.

1. ben100

ben100 Member

My en-suite ceiling paint keeps on peeling away, I have scraped the old paint off & repainted including a mist coat with Dulux paint but it has started peeling again like before. Ventilation is fine in the room any ideas on how to sort this & stop it constantly peeling?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You could always clad it. Just sticks up with silicon...piece of **** to fit.

Corvus93 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What finish is the paint, Matt, silk, eggshell?

4. ben100

ben100 Member

Matt

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do you have a shower in the en-suite?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For areas of high humidity and steam an acrylic eggshell finish is the paint of choice also Zinsser PERMA WHITE would also be a good product to use.

8. ben100

ben100 Member

Yes I do

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Read post #7.:)

10. Corvus93

Corvus93 Member

Where could we buy good quality & priced clads? Would it be easy to fit?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its very easy to fit. Just don't assume your room is perfectly square and cut accordingly. Sticks up with silicon. I personally am not a fan as I would rather have a plastered ceiling, but that's just me. The times I have fitted it, the customer has supplied it.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Look for a local UPVC supplier as they will be way cheaper than buying from a ‘shed’

Most trims/cladding channel they will stock in 5mt lengths where as sheds often only have 3mt lengths. Only problem is getting it home if you only have a car (or push bike)

Some suppliers may even deliver, worth asking

As ever, compare prices. Don’t think there’s much difference in quality with this stuff ? Maybe, dunno ?

Corvus93 likes this.
  13. Corvus93

Corvus93 Member

I am thinking of doing the job onto oour upstairs bathroom, but plaster / skimming is option. But I am apprehensive of peeling paint later because it gets steamy and damp, and we leave the window open then.

Looking at the ceiling, one problem I imagine would be how to cut the cladding exactly fit into the lights (on the middle of the ceiling) and also light switch (which is coming down from the ceiling) they are both round shape.

14. Corvus93

Corvus93 Member

We have wicks and b&q and screwfix in the town, so will pay a visit & see what theyve got.
    I saw this from Wick site.
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Cladding/Interior-PVCu-Cladding/c/1000262

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ideally you would remove light and switch first, then you only have to put a hole in for the cable. Neatest way of doing it if you're confident with electrics.

Corvus93 likes this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As ever, great advice on this site but also, look on you tube for tutorials, loads of help on every subject

Re your light switch and lights - ur looking at this from the wrong angle

Remove switch and lights, (isolate power and dbl check circuit is dead 1st)

Fit cladding, bringing wires from ceiling through cladding - so only say a 20mm hole needed through cladding

Refit switch and light, securing through cladding into ceiling above (need to check suitability of light fitting and lamp for mounting on cladding, ie temperature)

You would never cut cladding round fittings as say in future you change light fitting ...... you won’t get exact same size fitting so uv now got a mess

Depends if your happy messing with electrics as well. Be aware if you have a central light fitting, there may well be more than 1 cable to light, could be 3 = 9 cores so you need some experience

Might not be, several ways to skin a cat and wire up lights ;)

Corvus93 likes this.
  17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry CGN - both typing at same time !! :)

CGN likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No need to apologise Dave. I tend to be a bit succinct at times with replies...and let you do the hard graft :D

DIYDave. likes this.
  19. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Paint peeling from shiny plaster ? Over trowelled , lightly sand all over , insulated ceiling

20. ben100

ben100 Member

So should I go with the eggshell paint or the Zinsser & is this just a straight application with no need to paint on with any other paint after? Also would the Zinsser Matt finish be fine or should I go with another finish?