Replacement lintels

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Allan 0789, May 17, 2018.

1. Allan 0789

Allan 0789 Member

I have three window lintels to replace as the builders say because the existing support is angle
    Iron bearing down on the pvc window frame 1x 2600 lintels 1x 2000 lintels and 1x1200 lintels plus scaffolding to first floor what would be a fair estimate thanks

2. It all depends on which size the angle iron is.

Angle iron of the correct size was not uncommon as a support above windows and doors.

You will need to find out if it is of a sufficient size and they are not createing more work for themselves.

3. Allan 0789

Allan 0789 Member

I have seen the angle iron which is very rusty but I will look into it further in the meantime the lintels are about £150 each which have an overhang of 100mm either side so apart from scaffold, he says he can replace bricks the cost will be APPROX £600 for largest window and slightly less for the smaller ones does this sound about right

On a slightly different note does the lintels come with a guarantee thank Allan

4. Can't help you on the price but if you fit new Lintels they should have 6" bearing each side and not 4".

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Is there any obvious Sign of movement in the brickwork above the Windows.?

If not then I don't seem the problem with leaving the angle iron in place.

6. Allan 0789

Allan 0789 Member

No just some rust showing through thanks

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Quick coat of paint/rust treatment then before new windows fitted.

8. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Post some pictures, close up and standing back.