Tap not shutting off easily

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, May 18, 2018.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi,

I wanted to ask for some help regarding a tap I have in my bathroom. It's become increasingly difficult to close (it does close) but over the years it's become more and more stubborn :)

I would prefer to avoid replacing it especially if it's something as easy as just changing a washer etc

Is this an easy fix and if so how would I fix it ?

Thanks in advance

2. Photo, please.

If it's stiff, it won't be the 'washer' but more likely the spiral-thread inside it.

I've sorted out a few stiff taps, and they are easy to fix - if you can dismantle them in situ (the worst part of the job).

Photo will help.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Possibly limescale build up within the tap body, a strip down and clean should sort it.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Then add plumbers grease or Vaseline to the mechanism - keeps it all nicely lubed up and moving sweetly

If this doesn’t sort it, then tap valves are worn. Gotta match correct size but easy and inexpensive job to do yourself

You then literally have new taps so all good :)

5. Movieman334

Ok so to clarify, I should remove tap head and then clean the spiral thread inside the tap add plumbers crease afterwards.

if this doesn't work i need to replace tap valves.

Do i need to drain down the system to do this ?

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

DIY womble likes this.
  7. Movieman334

The just pumps, do i still need to drain down the system to replace these ?

8. just pumps

You need to isolate the water to each tap yes, any isolating valves fitted underneath?

9. Movieman334

will have to check i don't think there is though :(

10. just pumps

If not then suggest you fit some first then you can turn the water to the rest of the property back on and take your time with the taps. Also suggest you start earlier rather than later in the day to give yourself maximum time. ;)

11. Movieman334

is it easy to fix isolation valves ?

12. just pumps

On copper yes not so on plastic for a layman.

13. Post a photo, movieman, and we should be able to guide you through it all.

And silicone grease is probably the best lube to use when reassembling - it won't attack the O rings.

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A plumber's crease is a very different thing - a bit like builder's bum but cleaner. Don't post a photo of that for heaven's sake.

Deleted member 33931, PhilSo and Heat like this.
  15. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Can someone explain to me what plumbers grease is please, Ive only been in the trade for 45 years and never come across it.
    Ive used graffite grease on gas taps, Ive used copper crest on screws, Ive used silicone grease on parts to be inserted with O rings, Ive used silicone spray on soil fittings. But plumbers grease has passed me by.

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Really. ???

34053.jpg

17. I wasn't aware of Plumber's Grease either, so looked it up thinking it would be better than silicone grease for this job. And then I read "Not for use on rubber or synthetic O rings..." :eek:

The last one I did, I actually used nice thick 'Copper Ease' on the spiral thread part, and silicone grease on the rubber o-rings. Smoooooooth, man.

(Surely Copper Ease wouldn't attack rubber since it's the stuff recommended for use on the backs of brake pads - where it's close to the rubber piston bellows?)