Can you sand the edge of tiles?!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Racheo35, May 20, 2018.

1. Racheo35

Racheo35 New Member

Random question I know but when we moved into our house it had an outdoor seating area made from brick and the seats are tiled with whatever they used on the paving - the edges are really sharp and today my toddler cracked his head open on the edge of them!! Is it possible to sand the edges down so they’re not so sharp?

Attached Files:

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Yes you can. That's a stone slab and can easily be ground down with an angle grinder but it's always going to be solid and cause grief to anyone who head butts it.

Edit: Hope your toddler is alright?

3. Racheo35

Racheo35 New Member

Thankyou! It’s just incredibly sharp so I’m thinking if we can at least round it off it would be less dangerous. He’s fine now thanks! Brave lad!

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

WE is correct ... you can indeed angle grind it to be less sharp, but your post asks if you can sand it. Did you mean with a belt sander or some other kind of sander, e.g. orbital?
    If you don't own an angle grinder, you could sand it, but you'd go through a good many belts before you achieved your desired result.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

An angle grinder to take most off, then a belt sander (or disc) with some 40 grit to smooth it out. With some careful work you could get a reasonable round edge.

teabreak likes this.