White Van Man

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by fillyboy, May 22, 2018.

1. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's time for a new(er) van, the trusty white(ish) Transit needed some welding on the last MOT, bit of a knock somewhere in the drivetrain/suspension and not to put too fine a point on it, like the wife, she's seen better days.
    I'm currently looking at LWB Vivaros or similar.
    Anyway, the point is my last four vans have been white but several of the newer vans I've looked at have been metallic silver or metallic blue.
    Is this acceptable?

Heat and CGN like this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Careful, you may lose kudos! How much welding?

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It's a transit, do you need to ask. :p:p:p

DIY womble likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, definitely avoid buying another white van.
    The silver, blue or red vans look like a different class of persons van, in my opinion.
    Too many white vans on the roads and you just look like a builder.
    If you do see a bargain of a van and it happens to be white, I suppose you could get it sign written in nice colours, or get it wrapped.

Sparkielev likes this.
  5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

My last 2 vans have BlackBerry and blue, looking at getting black on my next van would never go back to white

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

One sill and a patch on the other last year, rear spring hangers this year but brown patches are appearing everywhere.

I want to look like a builder, metallic silver isn't exactly 'butch' is it?, probably ok for a sparks, or a plumber, or somebody who makes curtains.;)

gadget man and Heat like this.
  7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Most white vans I see are travellers driving them loaded with scrap

Joe95, gadget man and Heat like this.
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I thought you'd left Slough?;)

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Be different, go with a fancy colour.
    Customers will unconsciously judge you more likely to be more feminine and caring than the normal slob in a white van.
    What’s the very first thing a new or potential new customer notices? It is your van.
    Try to forge your image as a heating engineer, rather than the dirtier trades. :)

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yea, my thoughts exactly.
    White Transit, nice and clean and a yellow light on roof - traveller.

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

And most of the vans I've looked at have sliding doors on BOTH sides, what's that all about, it's bad enough when things fall out when I open the door on one side without it happening on both sides.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I did one on mine for previous mot and replaced one cill (sliding door).

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One is enough IMO.

14. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You’ll know what sliding doors on both sides are for on a van when you drive a van with only one side door and find that side is tight to a brick wall on 50% of driveways you reverse into.

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Good point, I bought the Transit in a hurry some years back after the engine in my old Vivaro blew up. Basic van, no remote locking, had to use the key in the drivers door. First day out I had to park tight up against a wall and climb out the passenger side, then realised I couldn't lock it.:oops:
    Yes, I can see the advantage now of doors both sides, apart from stuff falling out obviously.

Heat likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also easier to break into. Racking etc etc!

17. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Keep off the Vivaros . Just m.o.

The new Transits are so much better, but I went for a Peugeot Expert Pro. 1.6D Very pleased with it.
    But whatever you get, make sure you have extra security, as vans area prime target for the thieves.

Ps. Silver is a nice colour, black shows the dirt. Red is postman Pats.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Work vans should be white. Simple as.

Only extras appropriate are a bulkhead, ply lining and additional locks.

Anyone with aircon, heated seats,alloy wheels etc etc should be hit with a huge tax penalty and be forced to change their trade to soft furnishing consultant.

Currently got a 2012 L3 H2 Relay. Great van. But it is enormous!

In the market though for a similar age Nemo/Bipper/Fiorino to use as an everyday van and keep the Relay for when its needed. Anyone got one?

19. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Over the years I've seen various things written into the grime on vans, 'cleaned by the NHS', 'also available in white' but my all time favourite, spotted on London was
    'I wish my wife was as dirty as this van'.:p

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Valeted By Stevie Wonder was a favourite of mine.

fillyboy likes this.