Horseshoe Wedgepackers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Possom, May 23, 2018.

1. Possom

Possom Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are for leveling up & packing out & stay in place, several types of shims & packers available.

You can get horseshoe packers same size as timber your using, like below.

upload_2018-5-23_21-30-15.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Possom likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Possom and GoodwithWood like this.
  4. Possom

Possom Member

What I don't understand is what the levelling, packing and staying in place is exactly.

Never having attached a door frame before (it's to an external brick shed) I'd just have presumed I would screw the frame directly to the wall. At the moment I don't understand precisely what I'd be doing with such wedges, or if I require them?

Are they used where the brick wall is not completely vertical and you want the frame to be vertical? Is that what they do?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The wall your attaching door frame maybe of true,so when you fix your door frame you will pull it out of shape,when tightening up fixing,so any door fitted to frame won't be square in the frame & therefore jam in the frame.

Possom likes this.
  6. Possom

Possom Member

Do you mean pull the brick wall out of shape (and therefore the frame also), or simply the frame?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trying to post a You Tube linky & failing, as pc is playing up.:mad:

You can't pulled a built wall out of shape, but you can build a wall that isn't straight, bows in/out
    ,then when you come to fix a door frame/window to opening, or a door frame to a wall, you have to sometimes pack it out to square it up,(plumb & level) , otherwise say a door won't fit squarely within a door frame,you might get a tapered gap at top,etc.

Possom likes this.
  8. Possom

Possom Member

The brick wall in question is decades old. If I find that it is indeed completely vertical, would that mean I could then attach the frame directly onto the wall without the need for wedgepackers?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.:)

Probably built truer than a lot of the walls today.:D

Possom likes this.
  10. Possom

Possom Member

Ah, okay.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What happened to home made wooden wedges and spacers...........those were the days :)...................... seem's like everything is 'off the shelf' today.:(

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Dpm and hardboard used to be my favourite where folding wedges were to big

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The thing with the plastic wedges is the cut out ,ie horseshoe shape

If wall is out where you need to put a fixing, drive screw partially in then slip wedge between wall/frame and slip over screw, then fully drive home

Also loads of other uses, good when fitting skirting board to level up then just remove and reuse

More uses, just can’t think now

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Tiling above a bath. Crucial that the first row is dead level but some baths I've installed have not been exactly flat along their length. Different thickness packing pieces are really useful. They also help to leave that desirable gap to allow you to get a sound silicone joint/seal.

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not quite. With those wedges, which are tapered, you insert one from each side and the ride over each other and lock together giving good control over teh exact thickness.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

The horseshoe packing used to be called "trouser shim" (as it looks like a pair of trousers) it's for shimming or packing behind a frame to make sure the frame is plumb (vertical). It should be used with a long spirit level (say 1800mm) or a short level taped to a DEAD STRAIGHT wooden batten. You screw the frame to the wall (screw to the brick or blocks, never the joints) and offer the level to the frame. If there's a gap between the frame and level, or if it's out of plumb, you undo the screws a few turns, place the plastic shims behind the frame and tighten up the screws. Yes it's a fiddly, tricky task but vital to ensure the frame is plumb and the head of the frame is level (horizontal). The right way is to shim the frame at the top or bottom, depending which way it's out of plumb, then shim in-between (using the level as a straight edge). When finished, the frame should be plumb and straight with no bends in it. The frame should be plumbed both ways: from the front AND side. Don't like locking wedges as they are a pig to remove or if the go in too far.

Builders' dictionary:
    Plumb: Vertical; Level: Horizontal; Square: 90 degrees (a right angle); Straight: shortest distance between 2 points; Flat: not curved or wiggley (a flat roof is flat but has a fall, it slopes)

17. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Pretty sure flat, square,plumb and level aren’t in most builders dictionaries

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  18. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Nice one!