Curry night

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by retiredsparks, May 25, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Lady of the house doing a curry tonight.
    Made from base green sauce...etc.
    Doing all the lime chutney etc.....
    No Bombay duck unfortunately.
    Avoiding dry chillies and cayenne .

What are your fave combinations and heat.
    Rs

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Went out for a curry and a couple of Cobra's last night, had a Chicken Naga, onion bhaji, poppadum, mango chutney, lime pickle.

3. retiredsparks

That lot should keep you going...lol
    RS

4. facilities

facilities Guest

Hi RS, a good curry is one of my favourite meals, unfortunately if we are eating in we rarely make one from scratch (I mean the mrs here) I find the chilled ones from the supermarkets not to bad, (yes I know sad)

If we dine out it depends what mood I’m in, sometime I like it pretty hot so I enjoy a good Jalfrezi, if I’m in a mild mod perhaps Biryani, I tend to have chapati’s with this rather than Naan,

Not too keen on the sweet & sour types Dhansak ?

Tend to give the starter a miss as I find it too filling, although I am partial to chicken Chat

I remember years gone by when young & daft it was a bit of a competition on who could eat the hottest, if I remember correctly there was one restaurant in Manchester did something called Tinderloo (one up from Vindaloo) wow it blew yer head off, but those days are gone

In the week while at Criccieth we went to one called the Spice Bank, bit of a strange place it had been a bank in years gone by and was one huge cavernous room, it was about 8.00pm and we were the only ones in there so a bit devoid of atmosphere, the food was not to bad though I had Rogan Josh, my little dragon had Biryani.

retiredsparks and Isitreally like this.
  5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I too am partial to a Chicken Chat and often have it as a main course, the old stomach can't handle the likes of Jalfrezi, vindaloo anymore and a Phall is well out of the question now but has been eaten in the past. :):)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah, if I have a dodgy Curry it certainly does :D

7. retiredsparks

Hi Facs
    I do like wet curries and the old chapatis.
    First curry was at mates house (Indian)...and obviously home made (48 years ago).
    Tend not to be able to eat anything hot...or very oily.
    Home Bargains have a great range of packet sauces......called Indi Grand.
    Mrs adds to them and uses them when she runs out of home made base sauce.(lazy Madam)
    Also for quickness you can use Tortillas...and they are softer than the chapati.
    Rs

facilities likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Last one I had, could of **** through the eye of a needle.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, it shows in your eyes! :D

10. facilities

facilities Guest

Did you have this on a Friday by any chance Col:p

11. facilities

facilities Guest

Good tip about Home Bargains I will get my little love on the case, and yes we tend to use Tortillas at home,

Was thinking of a thread along the lines of if you could have only one meal everyday for the rest of your life what would it be, I would be torn between a delicious curry prepared by a top Indian Chef or Tator Ash as my gran used to make it, in Liverpool area think it’s calked Scouse, and in the Leigh/Wigan area it’s called Lobby, anyone know what I’m on about:)

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My favourite curry is lamb bhuna . A takeaway near us does the best one in the entire Derby area. ;);)

13. retiredsparks

They just tell you that it's "lamb"...could be beef chicken goat..or worse...according to media reports and investigations..:(:D
    Rs

14. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Love curries but what I can't make out is the takeaway's do say lamb this, beef that and chicken whatsit but then they list say Meat korma. What is the meat if not one of the other three?

15. retiredsparks

Lamb is expensive compared to cheap beef, chicken, goat and horse etc.
    'Meat' is usually regarded as mutton.
    You will very rarely actually get Lamb.
    Rs

ramseyman likes this.
  16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have to be careful with fat intake so actually going out for a curry is a rarity given the way most are cooked. I do cook quite a few here from the base spices - having a very good source of quality Indian spices makes it a lot easier/cheaper than being ripped off in supermarkets.

Quite often, I will try a new recipe and recently one called for six (6) tablespoons of Kashmiri Chilli Powder along with a variety of other spices in decent quantities. It was a little warm!

Use any meat you want - can be the cheap cuts and as RS suggests, use mutton if you can get it as the taste of the meat is still there whereas lamb can be a waste. Similarly, goat is good too. Make it at least a day before you want to eat, leave in te fridge and teh flavour will improve. Leave an extra couple for it to really mature and they can be great. Freeze portions and use them to fill jacket potatoes.

17. retiredsparks

A lot of people get upset by the dried chilli powders..so better to use fresh chillies...to taste(as does the Lady of the house)
    Gives a kick but no indigestion.
    Not sure about reduced fat..as I dont cook at all. But there are sites showing how to cook curry without oils.
    Rs

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I use both - depending on what I am doing. A lot of people who have origins in the Indian sub-continent (India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan &c) will use both dried or fresh depending on what they are doing.

Most of mine are cook using low/reduced fat methods - but te point is, restaurants don't do that and there is no knowing what the various fat levels are.