Fixing Ceramic tiles to external brick wall horizontal

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Moi2308, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Moi2308

Moi2308 New Member

Please can I have some advice regarding external tiling.

This is a school project, I am a ceramicist.
    Job:
    There is a brick built circle in the school garden. The children made thick ceramic ( stoneware) tiles to decorate the top of the brick circle. Each tile is approx 20 x 20 and 1cm thick.

I want to tile directly on to the brick.
    It needs to be weather proof ( frost proof) and it needs to be permanent.

The tiles are not glazed on the underside and have been grooved to help with bonding.

What is the best (pre mixed) adhesive/grout should I use?

I am a competent tiler, both wall and floor but only internally. This project is outside.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Why use pre mixed? Go with a flexible bagged adhesive.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Limited in choice with exterior ready mix.

With bagged, something like ARDEX X 7 G PLUS or Ardex Microtec X77 which is available bagged or premixed.

https://ardex.co.uk/product/ardex-x-77/

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As the others suggest - use bagged adhesive. Better quality, ideal for the location and cheaper! You can mix what you need and keep the remainder for the next batch.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would also look at a exterior flexible grout.

6. Pollowick

For the OP ... https://ardex.co.uk/products/grouts-silicones/ just remember to chose one that is suitable for te gaps you will have. The FL for example is suitable for external use (although I suggest you call Ardex to verify your use) and will work from 3mm to 15mm, available in 35 colours so you could chose one which matches the school uniform colour!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Excellent grout the Ardex Flex FL, only in a 10kg bag though.:(

8. Pollowick

It is in 2.5kg too

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is.:eek:

Haven't used it for some time, out of touch with progress.:D

10. Moi2308

Moi2308 New Member

I thought it would be easier to use.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need something cement based to withstand the weather. You'll need to prime the surface with SBR before tiling.

12. Pollowick

Easier in that you do not need to mix, however results will often be no where near as good and the range of adhesives limited. With the Ardex (and other) bagged, you weigh out what you need, add the requisite water, mix up and off you go. Less waste too.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I rarely used tubbed Addy now. Ok for kitchen splashbacks etc, but Often have a few remnants of bagged adhesive left over and used some up on the last splash back a couple of weeks back.

The only disadvantage is the need to prime. I pay £10 for a 20kg bag of Addy and £15 for SBR. A tub of of bal greenstar or similar is about £8, so more outlay, but in a bathroom, I only use bagged now.