How do you reckon the former Great Britain is now viewed by the world?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, May 15, 2018.

1. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

2. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

What a cop-out!!

YOU first said we have used our veto - but after me asking several times for an example this is the best you can manage???

My point that we could not be totally "ruled" by the EU while we had a veto, has been made perfectly.

Compare Scotland's situation, they are also in a 'union' with England and are ruled by England because they have no 'veto' on any decisions taken - and are outnumbered in Parliament by 10 to 1. They are watching this Brexit carefully and must be thinking that if getting out of Europe is best for UK then surely getting out of the UK will be better for them - at least they will also be "Taking back control" - just like us. I see the UK disintegrating shortly, I'm afraid.

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

The fiscal compact treaty.

4. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

You must learn to read fillyboy, it wasn't a VETO - the UK and Czech Republic just didn't sign it - that's NOT a veto (as I've already explained to joinerjohn).
    It took effect in 2012 - a veto would have stopped it altogether.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

6. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

[QThU
    QUOTE="fillyboy, post: 1610405, member: 28655"]No, it was a veto and it didn't stop it altogether,[/QUOTE]

We obviously disagree on what a veto actually means.

From the Collin's dictionary :-
    " Veto is the right that someone in authority has to forbid something. .."

We didn't forbid that Treaty (it still went ahead), hence it couldn't have been a veto.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Because the UK vetoed it, the countries in favour went ahead and agreed to a separate eurozone pact. The EU are still calling it a 'treaty' but it isn't written into the EU treaties. Under EU law, it is an 'inter-governmental agreement.

Which, in short, means JJ is right, you're wrong.

8. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Keep telling yourself that. I'll stick with the official definition of veto, if that's OK with you!

ps Are you JJ's tag partner, by the way? :D :D

9. facilities

facilities Guest

Calm down you lot, in respect to our dear departed DA or “deleted member” who started this thread perhaps we should call it a draw :p

10. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

What's with this "Calm down..." business?
    Surely the 'deleted member' would be very impressed with the 'no rancour' aspect of this discussion about using a veto in the EU. :confused:

11. facilities

facilities Guest

Ok ya got me, carry on. :rolleyes:

12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Lanc. Doesn't your argument contradict all you think the EU is and rather backs up what we know it to be.
    The UK tried to Veto a proposal and they went ahead anyway,!!!!!!

Thats the EU for you.

But you keep telling yourself that any member state has a say in what they want.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Broon

Broon Active Member

Going back to the OP I don't think that what everyone else thinks of us is the right question but when you reckon we stopped being Great Britain.

Some might say the vote to leave the EU but that's not true it was before then.

My opinion was the two world wars that's what finished off Great Britain.

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Easy answer, we stopped being Great Britain in 1973 when we joined the EEC.

15. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I do wish people would stop using the phrase "Great Britain", as if it means we are 'something special'.

Great Britain is simply the geographical area of England, Wales and Scotland (without N.Ireland) - so how you can say that "we stopped being GB in 1973, is ludicrous. The land mass of Great Britain has been there for thousands of years, and (Trump willing) may well last thousands more.

Similarly, the UK is not a 'country' - it is a bipartite Union of two countries , England and Scotland. The British Isles is something else!! Confusing, ain't it?

Jord86 likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

And not forgetting the principality of Wales and whatever Northern island is :)

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Bipartite ,, my a**e

18. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Spoken like a truly knowledgeable person, with knowledge!!

Look up bipartite and you will understand that the UK is Union of two countries (England & Scotland), at the time of this 'Treaty of Union', Wales was already a Principality of England - so the Treaty of Union only had TWO signatories. Wales and Ireland did not have any say in the said Treaty, because we (England) had already subsumed them, earlier.

So, JJ, it would appear someone's a**e is wrong, and it ain't mine!

Jord86 likes this.
  19. facilities

facilities Guest

You definitely remind me of someone Alan, sorry Lanc.

fillyboy likes this.