Painting over damaged plasterboard

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Daniel P, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I have some walls that I'm stripping paper from, and repainting. Only problem is that whilst stripping the wallpaper, the paper that you normally paint over is coming away also, leaving just the brown paper that you find behind that.

I have sanded down a small section and painted over to test, and it gives a good finish, but I'm wondering if there could be any problems with painting over this?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hard to tell from photo, but thick the plasterboard wasn't skimmed (i.e plastered) before being papered.

May be worth getting the wall skimmer by plaster.

3. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Yeah the plasterboard isn't skimmed. I would normally just paint onto plasterboard without skimming also, just giving it a mist coat before applying two normal coats. Can I do this with the boards in their current condition, or would having the paper missing pose some future problem?

I'll replace the boards rather than plaster if that's the only choice...

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does look pretty bad, not a good idea to paint on top, the papered layer provides strength to the plaster. Skimming or re-boarding is likely to best option, or wallpaper over using thicker lining paper.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Smooth it over with Easifil applied with a broad caulking tool, sand to a smooth surface when dry and if needed apply a second coat of Easifil and sand smooth once again. Paint over easifil with Zinsser 123 let dry and line the whole area with 1400 grade lining paper.

6. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Vote for skimming

7. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like putting new plasterboard up is the quickest/easiest option, so I'll go with that as time is of the essence.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good choice on two counts, quickest and cheapest.:)

Daniel P likes this.
  9. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Mostly the cheapest if I'm being entirely truthful. I'm tight.

Astramax likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your painting onto new plasterboard, no need for mist coat, just lash ur full bodied paint straight from the tub

Your gonna be using tapered edge boards then taping and filling joints ?

11. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

PVA and skim , job done

12. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Exactly that yes

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Always mist coat plasterboard, dilute emulsion paint 20% for first coat.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Good good ...... all good :)

But you will need to mist coat sections of filler / easifil