The wallpaper is off...now what?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by gingertimmins, Jun 6, 2018.

1. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

hi guys, another rookie question heading your way!

I've stripped the wallpaper in my living room. 2 walls are relatively recently plastered and I think with a bit of sanding and filling they'll be good to paint so my question is: Do I need to do anything to the walls to get rid of any paste residue and flecks of wallpaper backing, before painting? Would this be a sugar soap job?

Also, more of a plastering question but here we go....
    2 walls will be plastered. If there are patches of wallpaper backing still on the wall, can that just be skimmed over?
    Not sure if you can make it out in the photo but this is what I'm on about. It's not the paper itself, justbthe stubborn bit that didn't come off.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to use sugar soap & hot water to remove the last bits of wallpaper years ago,where Astramax when you need him.

3. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Thanks kiab, would you know about the skimming question? Can I just skim on top of it?

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

When plaster is applied these bits can dislodge causing 2 problems, firstly their is now no PVA on that area and secondly the dislodged paper gets dragged across the wall by the trowel so I always get these off before I start plastering. Another point is that if the plasterer is already their he / she will only take 3 hr max to skim the walls your going to fill and sand , they won't give you a good price for just 2 walls so you might only pay £ 30 extra and get less agro and a better job

KIAB likes this.
  5. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Great advice. Thanks womble.
    You raise a good point about the price of the other two walls and that was my next consideration. I was hoping to just get the ceiling done and the guy has priced really well for that so was hoping not to get all the walls done just to save some cash but I agree, it will be a better job and less headache to get the whole thing skimmed

6. DIY womble

If you struggle to cean off wallpaper don't waste a lot of time , remove the easy stuff , mix up some plaster and spread across the wall , wait 20 mins and scrape off , easy peasy , the plaster hold the moisture

7. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Im not struggling really it's just a faff that I was hoping to avoid if possible!

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Electric steamer over those bits and a scraper, should get em off in no time. Just be careful not to keep it on one spot for too long or it could blow the plaster. ;)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could also try hot water & a green scaley pad

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s the method I’ve used several times Kiab

Really really hot water with a good dose of sugar soap powder mixed in

Wear thick rubber gloves

BQ sell packs of large sponge scourers, £2 for 8 I think

Just simply wash and scourer and scrap the walls and all these bits will come off in good time

Gives you a bit of a workout and builds up a sweat so it’s a win win situation

I’ve found the hardest part is actually getting rid of the paste, last room took 4 washes per wall with scouring and scraping

If walls feel sticky whilst washing down, then you need to scour and scrape again

Change hot sugar soap water frequently

If paste remains on wall, highly likely to cause paint to craze as it dries

Also any small flecks of paper will show through the new emuslion coat

Can always sand walls down 1st, although this removes paper but not paste so dunno, not really worth it to me (walls will need sanding anyway during prep/filling stage

Once all paste and paper off, another wash down with clean water

Obviously ur chucking a fair amount of water at the walls so be aware of any loose/blown sections of plaster (they won’t survive the scrubbing and wetting but will need to be removed and repaired anyway)

Another option is to sand walls and remove all bits of paper then roller over with say Zinser Cover Stain

This is a solvent based stain sealer and won’t react with the paste, whilst sealing the wall ready for emuslion (may require 2 coats ?)

KIAB likes this.
  11. DIY womble

As I said , wipe with multi finish wait 20 minutes and the whole lot just peels off

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser GARDZ is the new kid on the block!

DIYDave. likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lidl cheaper for scaley pads.

Aquapur Sponge Scourers Non Scratch or Aquapur Sponge Scourers both in a 6 pack, both 52p each.:)

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sugar soap well, then paint with Feb bond blue grit, when the walls have dried. No need for pva then and the plasterer will be in and out.