Adding Floetrol to vinyl emulsion.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Jun 10, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Having a bit of a problem painting ceilings with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt which is coming out patchy. I think it's just drying out too fast in this warm weather. Been using it thinned 10% with water and wondering if Floetrol would keep the wet edge better? Am I right in saying if I do use Floetrol it would be instead of thinning with water and not as well as?
    Cheers

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've been painting ceilings here at midnight,nice & cool.:)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Put it in and report back.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get a day job!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best follow the instructions!

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

You can keep the edge as wet as you like but dulux white matt is notorious for having too much sheen, I tend to use Macpherson contract white emulsion on ceilings as a matter of course, but if you have a 'problem' ceiling, ie, imperfections, or a long room with a strong light source at one end which will exaggerate imperfections and possibly show every roller stroke, get a tub of brilliant white 'flat matt' from Wickes, you'll be amazed at the difference.
    If you try some on a small area on the ceiling you've done, you'll think the dulux is silk finish.

KIAB likes this.
  7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

He probably gives himself 25% shift pay.

Astramax likes this.
  8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

The room is definitely one problem as there is a large South facing window and the ceiling is on the low side. Looking down the room to the window end the patches are indeed more noticeable. It is newly skimmed over artex so fairly flat. I started off with Albany matt then switched to the Dulux hoping to get a better finish. The Albany definitely had more sheen than the Dulux.
    Cheers

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Did you do a mist coat first.

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes I used the Albany thinned about 50% with water.

11. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Ok. So I used the Floetrol mixed 10% with the paint and rollered very thoroughly another coat on the ceiling. Used a medium pile roller (Wooster) rather than the short pile I used before thinking I'd get more paint and it would dry slower. Stuck with the Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt as I had it. It's a lot better on the first half of the ceiling and acceptable but the second half is still rubbish!! Dunno why. AAAAARGHHHH!
    Seriously considering getting a pro round to do it now. Do you think they'd be interested in coming just to do one lounge ceiling?

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, to many risks of being called back if you were not happy. Use Bullseye 123 over the problem area and finish with Dulux Flat Matt.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks Astramax. I'll try what you suggest as a last effort. I'm beginning to take this personally and would like to beat this ceiling into submission.
    I understand what you say about a pro not wanting to tackle it but I'm sure it would turn out better than I can get it and would be happy to sign any disclaimer regarding calling them back!
    Cheers

14. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I can get hold of a can of Johnstones flat matt. Would that be an ok alternative to the Dulux flat matt ? And are both ok to go straight over the Dulux Vinyl Matt I have already used or do I need some sort of primer/sealer?
    Thanks

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Roland refer to post 12 re sealer, Johnstones will go over the existing emulsion with no problems.

16. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Ok thanks
    So still use the Bullseye 123 over the patchy areas then the emulsion. Got a result with the Johnstones! My neighbour has a spare 5ltr can left over from decorating earlier this year so coming my way for the price of a few beers . Even cheaper than the Paint shed!

Astramax likes this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good paint that 'Freemans'!

RolandK likes this.
  18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Takes me back a few years when I was tring everything I could to stop flashing of the emulsion. The problem is poor quality paints.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wayners, the op has been using Dulux Trade not Poundland knock downs!:eek:

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dulux trade is cit. Real cit. Benjamin Moore ceiling paint from Shaw paints. Tikkurila anti reflex or super white and others available. Dulux ain't good nor crown