Paint post bottom in MetPost ??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jimbobster, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jimbobster

jimbobster New Member

Hi

I have several post holders concreted in ground which I plan on using with Treated posts. There's a chance, due to their location, soil will collect a bit round bases over the years. Do I not need to worry about this or can I do something else to protect them ? I've read some other posts about people using bitumen paint but Im not sure how this works with Tantalised posts.

Any advice aprreciated

Cheers

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I paint always the section of wooden posts in contact with ground & in a metapost with one or two coats bitumen paint (Blackjack 901).

3. jimbobster

jimbobster New Member

Even if the wood is some of the treated kind ?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.:)

Any pressure treated perservative on a wooden post doesn't penetrate very deep into the timber.

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

The vulnerable part on any treated post is ground level so treating that area with bitumen is a good insurance. Some people say stand the post in a polythene bag and extend it up the post. Never tried it but think water would be boumd to get to thew post as the plastic degrades and it wouldn't look very pretty.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use to drill a deep hole (around 8mm diameter) up the centre of a post at base & fill with perservative, leave it over night, then top up if need be,then plug.
    Posts I put in probably 18 years ago, are still standing at a previous place.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    ramseyman likes this.
  7. jimbobster

jimbobster New Member

Great, thanks for all the replies. Very useful information :)

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Maybe stand the post on a few layers of DPC to lift it just off the metal and allow any water to drain away. Certainly soak the bottom 100mm or so in extra preservative, and as Kiab suggested drill a hole to get right into it.

I have just removed some MetPosts - after 25 years, the spikes have rusted through!

KIAB likes this.
  9. jimbobster

jimbobster New Member

Im struggling to find that specific product in stock anywhere locally, will any Bitumen Paint work ?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Competitor.:)

PM sent.:D

Regardles of brand it's all Bitumen Paint.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Masking tape 50mm above ground level and use this. Simple

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too darn expensive.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

£17 for a small one. Amazing stuff. Guess that's more than you want to pay

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definfitely amazing stuff,seen it used on posts before,ok if only a few,but if you got loads of posts, it becomes expensive.

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Small tin will do 7-10 posts. That's £2 a post