Push fit - 15mm stainless pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lewis Ginevra, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Lewis Ginevra

Lewis Ginevra New Member

Hi there,
    Just looking for some advise on fitting a 15mm stainless pipe into a 15mm plastic push fit elbow? Unfortunately I have already done this on 3 radiators luckily no flooring laid yet, the 15mmm stainless went in fully and secured tightly in the elbow but stupidly looking at the instructions, John guest say there fittings are NOT meant to be used on stainless pipe, so much for my good idea of making the radiator tails look smart.
    I won’t be water testing the system for a least 6 months due to an extension taking place soon. Should I be worried?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The finish is too hard, same for chrome pipe, for the grip ring to grip the pipe properly, so possible it will push the fitting off when water is in system.

3. Lewis Ginevra

Lewis Ginevra New Member

Thanks for the reply, is there
    Anything that will do the job elbow wise? Cheers

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Use a compression fitting rather than a push fit, the issue of the grip ring will not arise.

5. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

You could use compression fittings instead of push fit

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

... or you could keep the push-fit elbows and just secure the pipes on either side of them with wall-mounted pipe clamps.
    If you don't want the wall-mounted pipe clamps to be visible on the radiator tails, then you'll have to make sure that they are always attached to the radiators while under pressure.
    When you remove the radiators (e.g to paint behind them), you'll have to lower the water pressure or the tails risk popping out of the elbow due to their not being gripped by the couplings' grippers.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Has to be compression - the Hep2O guide specifically states that so you cannot even change to one of their fittings.

8. Lewis Ginevra

Lewis Ginevra New Member

Great thanks for all the replies, I will change them all to compression elbows, would the push fit pipe insert need to be kept the same ie plastic or changed for a metal one?

9. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

You don't use inserts in the stainless pipe with either push fit or compression but you still need an insert if one side of the elbow is going to be plastic pipe. You can use plastic or metal inserts

10. Pollowick

The insert used should be the one that matches the pipe - never mix insert and pipe brands.

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I use the stainless inserts as they restrict the flow less than the plastic types.

12. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Pollowick is correct, I posted my last response before completing it hence the lack of full stop.
    It should have read: You can use plastic or metal inserts depending on manufacturers recommendations.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just checking is it actually stainless steel pipe or chromed copper pipe

SS fairly unusual in domestic fitting isn’t it ?

Does look great though :)

14. Pollowick

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Or, keep the push fit, use copper pipe for your tails and use the plastic chrome rad snaps to go over the copper pipe. That's what I tend to use...usually on towel rads, as most of the time, the pipe work is coming out the wall into corner TRV's. Pipe work in wall is soldered though :)

16. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Or use chromed copper and just rub off the chrome where it'll be inserted into the pushfit.

Never heard of SS in domestic plumbing. Are you sure you haven't actually bought chromed copper?

17. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

BES sell 15mm stainless but it is a bit unusual for domestic use

18. Lewis Ginevra

Lewis Ginevra New Member

Defo SS through and through, we can blame the wife for wanting SS, Selco 2m length Ss Tube. I will be buying a pack of Collet clips as well cheers, JG push-fit have the collar that tightens up as well “adding extra security” as they put it, so can’t believe
    Collet clips are needed as well but I will invest in a pack.
    Well the compression elbows are in, pipe inserts in the plastic, brass olives went on as well. I will let you all know when I have the system up and running and I’ll go round and tally up the leaks

Attached Files:

19. Pollowick

Brass olives are fine for copper/steel pipe, however, it is advised to used copper olives for plastic pipe.

20. Lewis Ginevra

Lewis Ginevra New Member

*** lol cheers