Playing vinyl through TV?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by robertpstubbs, Jun 12, 2018.

1. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I have 30yo Rega Planar 3 turntable with RB300 arm and Linn K9 cartridge (3.3mV output) but no amp.

I have a basic 10yo Sony TV. I play my CDs through this and the sound from the built in speaker is reasonably good.

Is there any cheap and simple way of connecting the turntable to the TV so I can also listen to my vinyl?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rega Planar 3 was a brilliant turntable,still difficult to better for the price today, had one with Arcam CD player.:):)

You will need a phono pre-amplifier (£25-£60) to use turntable, have look at Richer Sounds, can't remember if Rega had MC or MM cartridge, (think it was MM) your pre amp needs to match the cartridge.

Might be able to use AUX on a AV home amp/ receiver, but you also might need a phono preamp as well.

AV Reciever like a Denon AVRX540BT start at £150 & upwards, ordinary stero amp any where from a £80 for a basic amp Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM1, which you can connect tv to.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/...ories/btech-mm-phono-pre-amp-mic-pre-amp.html

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/...mps-accessories/project-mm-phono-pre-amp.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JDIY4mDgtpv/learn/how-to-connect-a-turntable-to-a-receiver.html

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. robertpstubbs

I use a 10yo Sony DVD payer for CDs, but also still have a 30yo Arcam Alpha CD player in the cupboard. I wonder how the 2 would compare?

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Arcam superior I say.:)

RolandK likes this.
  5. robertpstubbs

It's MM and used to work with the Alpha. But I think Arcam could provide extra modules to work with any cartridge.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought it was MM as I said earIier,but it's been many years since I had the deck.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes you need a MM phono-preamplifier to boost the signal and do RIAA equalisation.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

They'll sound the same, CD is just 1s and 0s :D;):rolleyes:

9. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the sound source or any other components along the way as the weak link in the chain will be the TV speakers.
    I might be wrong but would the line level output from the Phono pre amp be ok as input to the TV (assuming it has Phono inputs) without an amp needed? If there is no Phono input on the TV I think an adaptor can be used in the scart socket to connect Phono leads to. One of these
    http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/p...0wp4oJX26_jRS0M9hIe-GnpmPABOWI3gaAvOgEALw_wcB

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The TV or SCART input won't have "phono" inputs, it might use phono sockets but it'll be a line level input. You need a phono pre-amp to do the equalisation and boost the signal, otherwise it'll sound very tinny and very very very very very very quiet.

Out of the phono pre-amp it can go into a line level amp input, like those on your TV.

KIAB likes this.
  11. robertpstubbs

Generally yes, but because this Sony TV is a bit old it has the reasonably sized speakers in a panel below the screen. Bought a brand new TV (with built-in DVD, great features and good connectivity) for my mother's room in the home and when she wouldn't use it so brought it back here. Put it in my kitchen and the sound quality was dreadful. Threw it in the cupboard and went back to just turning up the volume on the Sony in the lounge.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Agree, modern day TVs are so slim that speakers need to be very small and very shallow. I remember my parents old silver Philips TV, had large speakers either side of the screen so sound was very good, fairly deep and full bass. I had to buy a soundbar for my 10 year old Plasma TV as the speakers were so carp, especially with voices. No treble or bass, sound is very compressed.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes when buying a tv these days budget for a sound bar.

14. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes sorry this might be aimed at me? When I referred to Phono sockets I was refering to the plug type rather than a Phono level input. Hence agree that the Phono amp is needed as I said.

15. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Not saying the speakers in the TV are rubbish but with the other components you have or will have they will still be the weakest link.

16. robertpstubbs

Some of the components in higher-end players may be generic and shared with lower-end players, but differences in design of players can still affect sound quality.

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I know, I was joking :D

That's the reason I have a Wadia 861 CD player, when new it cost around £9k I believe.

Even digital interconnects can have an impact on sound quality, many don't or won't believe it. Its all in the timing.

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

There's only two types of people in the world . Those who understand binary and those who don't

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I use a USB turn table, however the USB is useless, so I feed the audio into an Easycap phono to USB that I got to upload video camera to PC.

TV speakers are a problem, use the audio unit and the quality is far better, however you can hear it just as well next door, so stopped using the audio unit because the sound carries too much. The TV's own speakers are good enough to watch TV and the sound does not travel as far.

20. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Half decent pair of computer speakers.