Ronseal Smooth Finish Filler

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Joseph Brown, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Morning All,

DIY ask here. I’ve cocked up by not wiping up enough Ronseal smooth finish filler excess away. I’ve a light sanding block but it doesn’t seem to make a dent. Any ideas? This is being painted but I feel it’ll be obvious as it’s probably 0.1mm thick.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No experience myself with this filler but guess it’s a regular powdered - ready mixed filler ?

Shouldn’t present a problem to sand totally flat, perhaps ur using too fine a grade sanding block ?

If you’ve gone way to heavy with the filler (which you haven’t), can use P60 paper just lightly for fast excess filler removal

Then move up to P120 to get nice and flat, final rub over with P180 to finish off and remove any scratches in filler from paper

Always good to use a block of wood with paper wrapped around or a ready made hand sander

Your 100% right to be concerned though that if not perfectly blended in, the filler will show through the paint. Matt emuslion does ‘help’ to slightly disguise imperfections but any paint has a funny habit of magnifying flaws

Better to get filler totally blended into surrounding wall surface before painting. Should sand quickly with P120, never used the Ronseal but can’t see why not

Mist coat filler patches before painting over so as to get an even finish to the emulsion - good luck

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The biggest trouble with the ready mixed fillers is that they do dry out to be exceptionally hard, sand it flat using 120 grit and a sanding block.

4. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Thanks for the advice Gents. Yeah I’ve done my best by hand and I can’t get it smooth out flat.

Would an electrical sander work?

Attached Files:

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you got a random orbital sander? a palm or delta sander will get it flat.

6. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Not at the moment, I was looking into them and/or a rotary tool. Thoughts?

It appears I’m not the only one to see how stubborn this stuff is, so far from ideal for my use case.

Attached Files:

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Chip it off and re fill using Tou Pret interior filler, a far superior product.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I said earlier, I’ve never used this filler but can’t understand why it can’t be sanded flat. You mentioned a sanding block in ur opening post but, no mention of grade

I use the Ronseal 2 part wood filler loads and that sets like stone - yet sands easily with P120

Can’t understand how this wall filler is harder than the 2 part stuff

You’ve got a heavy looking ‘orange peel’ effect going on with your paint (realise photo is zoomed in)

Did you try to sand before painting wall as looks like uv painted over filler

Out of interest, what paint are you using ?

9. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Attached Files:

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is it just this 1 patch as per photo that you have trouble with ?

If it really is impervious to sanding (although can’t understand how and why), by using an electric sander your likely to sand the surrounding wall surface and not the ‘lump’

Are you still using the sanding blocks - like the foam things ?

Any regular sandpaper to hand ? P120 for instance, give it a try

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The orange peel effect could be a Polly Ripple/Artex type product, needs steaming off.

12. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Yes I’ve tried 120 and a 220, no luck. Yeah that’s also my concern, I could do more harm than good (as I have with this product). That said I can’t leave it... any ideas?

13. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

The product is Ronseal Smooth Finish. It just seems impossible to sand by hand. I’ve used three types of sandpaper now. Thoughts?

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m guessing more than likely poor roller technique (don’t mean to be rude OP)

Overloading roller
    Heavy pile roller
    Repeatedly rollering over same area
    Paint too thick
    Hot weather, paint drying quickly
    Etc

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Where’s kools when we need him ?

He will have the perfect suggestion to this problem :)

But as an alternative, as Astra said, just knock out this patch and buy another filler - Toupret/pollyfiller/etc

16. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

Best tool to knock it out with?

17. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

No offence taken. Whilst the roller technique will be amateur, it’s definitely the contrast behind a protruding smooth surface (Ronseal) vs. The underlying paint. The specky affect was already there from the underlying paint job.

18. Joseph Brown

Joseph Brown New Member

I assume there’s no way to PM/IM him? Really keen to put this to bed tomorrow.

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It was a joke. Kool's stock answer to most problems was 'Dynamite!' You are getting good advice from the respondents already.