what size gap to leave for washing machine and dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by rolysatch, Jun 3, 2009.

1. rolysatch

rolysatch New Member

hi

i'm soon to start fitting a new kitchen, i've got a freestanding washing machine and dishwasher that will fit in under the worktop. and so i need to leave a gap for these. i need to leave the gap as tight as possible for space and aesthetics.

the washing machine is 599mm wide and the dishwasher 600mm wide. is there a standard size gap that should be left for appliances like this? i'm intending to get some of those appliance rollers to make it easier to get it and out. anyonme got any idea what size gaps i should leave.

any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance

roland

2. rolysatch

rolysatch New Member

just so you knoe the appliances aren't next to each other.

Emufazer likes this.
  3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Free standing appliances need a bit of wiggle room to get them in and out, if you fit them too tight you may have a hell of a job getting them out again.

At least 1cm clearance each side IMHO but there is no "rule

4. rolysatch

rolysatch New Member

hi

thanks for the reply, yes i was thinking about that much too.

thanks again

roland

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

You can fit them really snug if you want which is fine until you try and get them out and then find the new one is 1mm bigger!

6. Hi mate

Washing machines move when washing so it is essential they don't touch the cabs. I tend to leave 50mm for them and dish washers is down to getting them in and out 10mm max.

Just a note re putting W/M on runners, check your cabinet height including legs before fitting to allow room under worktop.

Regards
    Steve Bunyan
    www.clarence-william.co.uk

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

10mm each side for DW and 20mm for WMC is my usual. There is no "RULE" as such.

8. rolysatch

rolysatch New Member

thanks for all the advice guys! :)

9. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

im with leaky there, maybe down to 5 each side for the d/w if it was necessary.

If you have a panel on either side, it can be helpful to cut a square out at the back to get to the back legs, if they cannot be adjusted from the front.

10. CKdesigner

CKdesigner New Member

Hi, If you check the instruction books it will give you their recommendations. For instance Hotpoint will probably recommend a decent gap where as Miele will be a lot smaller as they are the most stable.

Putting the machines especially the washer on rollers is a really bad idea. The washer is on adjustable feet for stability reasons! To make life easier on installation put a little pea sized drop of washing up liquid behind the rear feet, it will then just glide into the space. When pulling out the macine open the door and pull from the inside.

Good luck.

11. Agree! avoid the rollers, lay the finished floor under the WM and DW for easy removal, if vinyl-put down a cutting of chipboard under the appliances.

12. earl e finish

earl e finish New Member

625mm gap.

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Each side?

14. Sofia296

Sofia296 New Member

You should leave 1inch from all sides so that you are able to move it comfortably in future so it did not get damaged. If it gets damaged we are there to help you at your home you just need to contact us at 1-800 geek squad and we will repair your damage.

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I trust your rates include travelling time and expenses.

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What like Dr Who you mean, all the way back to 2009. :D:D:D

kitfit1 likes this.
  17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Lol to "1 inch from all sides" :eek:

18. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

I leave 602mm on everything. If u decide you want intergrated in the future, there is less hassle

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The op's on his second replacement washing machine by now! :D

CGN likes this.
  20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

620 if possible. Sod leaving 602, if they change their mind later, they will pay for it!! :D