Fitting multiflex hose problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dastardley, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dastardley

Dastardley New Member

I'm replacing my monobloc taps in the kitchen. I have the old taps off and am now putting the new one on. I have the tap secured to the sink. I have both flexihose in at the tap end and one connected up to pipe at the other end with no problem.....but the other flexi hose is a right bugger.....for the life of me I can't do it up without water leaking out the top of the flexihose connector and running down the pipe....Can anyone tell me what I can be doing wrong? What would cause this? Any help much appreciated.

2. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

The only thing I can think of without seeing it is a missing O ring where the flexis screw into the tap

3. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

take a quick picture so we can see what fitting is on it. cheers

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As above, missing o-ring or not done up sufficiently is all I can think of too. Its leaking at the top of the flexihose where it screws into the tap base?

5. Dastardley

Dastardley New Member

Here are some images.

Attached Files:

6. Dastardley

Dastardley New Member

No leaking from other end...top the flexihose connector where it goes on to pipe fitting.

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You are connecting that wrong!
    The washer on the flexi hose is flat and MUST be connected to a flat faced fitting!
    You can use 1/2” x 15mm male fittings ( straight or elbow )
    Or you can buy from Screwfix fittings for the purpose.
    That elbow you have is tapered inside and has a sharp edge for a pipe and olive to go into. The rubber washer will get cut and risky to join like that.
    If you had spare 15 mm rad valve tails, they would also do to take you onto a flat face

8. Dastardley

Dastardley New Member

Thanks mate....these are the fittings that my kitchen fitters used five year ago....i just changed the tap...like for like. I'm 100% amatuer.....just thought all i had to do was replace like for like...Thanks for letting me know. Might just have to call a plumber to do the rest.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Uv got this far, just another push and you’ve done it (pat on the back time) :)

As heat says, not a good connection between washer and tapered edge, with possible damage to washer

There’s millions of flexis connected direct to isolation valves as an example, these also have a tapered edge

Probably most of them don’t leak, but the odd few will

Take a look at ‘tap tail adaptors’, 2 in a pack, 15 and 22mm available

Compression on one end which tightens onto 15mm copper pipe, then a nice flat face to seal against washer as you screw on flexi

If washer is damaged on flexi, you can prise off and replace

You can do this :)

Heat likes this.
  10. StoneMan

StoneMan New Member

I am with DIYDave on this one. If you bite the bullet, have another go with a different connector I am sure you can do it. It's not too difficult. Good luck

11. StoneMan

StoneMan New Member

If you unscrewed the brass elbow with a spanner, ( the nut and olive can stay on the pipe) and replaced it with this one. https://www.screwfix.com/p/p802-08-male-elbow-15-x/44344 It has a flat face on the fitting so would almost certainly work well with the existing flexi tail pipe you have fitted. Simple straight swap, in my eyes at least :)

Heat likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Just replace that compression elbow with a 15mm x 1/2" elbow and you have that one ready for to connect flexi tap hose straight onto it.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I wasn't copying you StoneMan, we just were thinking alike and posted same time. :)
    Just one thing I would add, - that Screwfix male elbow looks like it will swap over and connect to original nut and olive.
    But just be aware some rubbish brass fittings are about now that don't have the same depth, so original olive would be too far onto the pipe.

retiredsparks likes this.
  14. Tim M

Tim M New Member

6F576CC0-F5B4-4DBE-98EE-FD5B3CF535B0.jpeg 1B6DD36C-7BDB-47B2-A2B9-474380478DAB.jpeg
    You need one of these dropped in the compression fitting, that then gives a good flat surface for the washer in the flexi, rather than it being compressed against a sharp edge

15. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Not seen those. Where can you get them?

16. Tim M

Tim M New Member

I got them from my local merchants, didn’t know they existed, apparently they’ve just come on the market, so you’ll have to ask your suppliers
    They also fit in a toilet float valve so your not just relying on the thin plastic wall and the flexi washer to seal

17. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Have they got a name?

18. Tim M

Tim M New Member

What the part, no they were just in a box on the counter !!
    The bag they were in just says P.E.M inov

19. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out.