Beware Scam please read

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Reverse Diode, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Reverse Diode

Reverse Diode New Member

Yesterday my wife took a message from 'my local council's environmental health dept' They were offering advertising in a leaflet which will be sent to all local businesses for £190. Needless to say the council don't know anything about this. IT IS A SCAM. Please don't get caught.

2. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Get them all the time, claiming calenders for the fire service and schools. You do have to watch yourself.

3. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Said leaflet wouldn't be entitled "Part P" by any chance?

4. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

It doesn't take much adveertising before these calls start to come in.

I had dual tool call me for the umpteenth time yesterday. I told the guy that they call that often that I was considering seeking advice about harrassment lol

I get an internet company who calls all the time wanting to promote my business. If thier web site is as good as they say, then I don't know why they need telesales.

If you tell them to send you some bumf in the post, they never do, which proves that they are just after your credit card details there and then, over the phone.

A guy called the other week, and he had a stutter. I felt sorry for him, and heard him out (half an hour with the stutter). I just told him to send some stuff through the post, but the following day I had another call from the same company thanking me for advertising with them, and wanting my money. Bizzare.

I would never advertise with ay of these 'companies' just because they're a pain in the ar53!

Andy

5. 2wires2many

2wires2many New Member

I got one claiming to be the police, and did I want to be their approved electrical contractor and sole electrical advertiser in their magazine which was to be circulated to every household in the county!!! Yeah right.
    Would have been great advertising though
    SMc

6. seylectric

seylectric New Member

That's always my answer too - the conversation's always the same: "Sorry, it's our company policy not to tie up our line with telesales enquiries, but if you send me some information in the post I'll have a look at it and get back to you if I'm interested."

"Could you just confirm your address?"

"No. If you have my phone number you must have got it from my advertisment, therefore you have my address from the same ad."

If they persist or call repeatedly just tell them that you charge £25 per call for unsolicited phone calls and will send them a bill. Never fails.

7. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Yeah, then they distribute about 10000 leaflets for 400 squid. It's a joke. And they say tradesmen are rip off merchants!!!!

Andy

8. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

I was considering buying a whistle for dual tool telesales. I think a good hoot on it would make them think twice.

Andy

9. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Although I'd look like a bit of a raver if anyone saw me ;)

Andy

10. part-p.org.uk

part-p.org.uk New Member

Or you could just get a mobile phone sim-card from the market. Set up a very long answerphone message, you know the sort... value of custom, call very important to us, we will get right back to you etc. Then when the salesfolks call all you need to do is to tell them that the advertising manager/senior buyer/director was waiting on there call and can be contacted on <mobile no>.

Or you could just say your mum and dad are out. Worked for me for the last 20 years.

11. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Or you could just say your mum and dad are out. Worked for me for the last 20 years.

I'm trying that one tomorrow.

Andy

12. seylectric

seylectric New Member

LOL!

Of course you could simply tell them to **** off. That works too!

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I've taken to launching into obscenities - I don't mean "*k-off" etc, but stuff that would land you in court if you called them - e.g. if it's a female, start heavy breathing, and saying things like "have you got a nice moist *t?", and "I'd love to stick my c* up your a*" (that works for blokes too..)

My aim is to make the job so unpleasant for these people that they pack it in.

14. LSpark

LSpark New Member

lol BAS, that's about the last thing I expected to hear you say! :O

15. seylectric

seylectric New Member

What REALLY does my head in is the fact that I use a freephone number to advertise my business.

So these sales people are phoning me up (using my freephone number) to try and sell me something AT MY EXPENSE! It's not on.

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Add wording to the advert to the effect that sales or marketing calls to that number will attract a charge.

When they call, send them a bill.

If they don't pay, take them to court.

17. seylectric

seylectric New Member

I see your point b-a-s but I don't really want my promotional material carrying that sort of message. I occasionally book a few lines in the local paper, especially if I hit a sudden quiet spell (a cancellation, say) so it wouldn't be appropriate.

If I'm on the ball I use a technique where once the call has been identified as a sales call, I ask for their name, and their company name and address. I then tell them that I charge incoming sales calls at £10 per minute or part thereof, and ask them if they wish to continue. It's good fun actually. It leaves most of 'em stunned, but those that try to continue the sales patter are interrupted with, "Excuse me, before you continue you should be aware that your call has already incurred a charge of £10. Do you wish to continue?" :)

Mobile phone sellers are the best. I simply tell 'em, "What do you think I'm using to talk to you now, a f***g banana?