Playing vinyl through TV?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by robertpstubbs, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Pair of ATC SCM40 3 way floorstanding speakers driven by 300W monoblocks each channel

2. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Exactly this, use an rca lead to connect from preamp to TV - if there isn't a line in you can use a scart adapter and plug in rca lead that way. Recently bought a preamp from cpc for our old deck, was around £12 and sounds decent enough.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SCART!:eek:

Do tv's still have them!:D

4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

If his tv is 10 years old I reckon it will have

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Guessing if tge TV is 10 yrs old it may well have scart. That's why I suggested using the line level in via a scart adaptor yesterday. If a tv has Phono sockets on the back it's invariably for line out not in.

6. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Not always - if the TV has a yellow RCA for composite input then it should have red / white rca's for the audio side of things. Some small screen LCD's still have scart / composite inputs.

7. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Quick look on Argos website suggests not but seems that even 4K tv's generally have component video inputs complete with RCA's for audio so at a guess regardless of how old / modern the TV is there's a good chance you can feed it analogue audio - whether its worth it given the naff speakers in most TVs is another thing altogether lol

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

True. I stand corrected but if it doesn't have these then the scart is a fall back.
    In fact I just had a look and my old Panasonic has 2 sets of phonos

9. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I'm not trying to create the ultimate system - just something until I have the time and money. Main issue is not about physical connectors but strength of input.

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

OK, but in your original post you asked

"Is there any cheap and simple way of connecting the turntable to the TV so I can also listen to my vinyl?"

That involves physical connectors. That's what people have been trying to help with.
    You need a MM Phono amp. A method of connecting that to line input on your TV be it phono socket input (possibly via scart if no dedicated sockets on your tv).
    End of?

Gluggy likes this.
  11. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

In that case you'll need one of these (http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03927/audio-pre-amplifier/dp/AV25228?CMP=TREML007-005) to "boost" the signal as the output from the turntable is much lower than that of a cd / dvd player and the audio will be far to quiet without one - connect turntable to the input side and use an RCA lead from the output to connect to TV... If you post a pic of the connectors on the TV or let us know the model number then people can confirm if / what adaptors are needed :)

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That pre-amp will get the job done alright. Cheap and cheerful solution.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Bargain!

14. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Bought one a few weeks back to connect a late 80's Akai deck to a Denon AV receiver - sounds pretty good to me with no hum or distortion, the case is also quite thick metal which should help shield it from electrical noise. Might be along way from "audiophile" standards but for the money can't complain at all :)

15. robertpstubbs

It's a Sony KDL-20S3000. Inputs are:

TV
    AV1 - SCART - Sony DVD
    AV2 - SCART
    AV3 - green/blue/red/white/red
    AV4 - HDMI - Sky (and white/white/red/red)
    AV5 - ?/yellow/white/red/headphones
    PC - SVGA+audio

16. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Can use one of two inputs without any adaptors, have highlighted them in the screen grab from the manual. AV3 (row of RCA's next to scart sockets) looks like the best bet as not much chance of that input being used in the future - connections are nice and easy... record deck > preamp > RCA lead to AV3 :)

audio_input.jpg

**EDIT**

Could also use the AV5 audio input on the side - again very little these days uses that kind of video input. The PC input is also an option but would need an RCA > 3.5mm cable instead of RCA > RCA. In all cases the preamp is still required.

Ignore AV4 - just realised that's shared with the HDMI / sky box.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  17. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Well, certainly worth a try plugging your TT into the audio here. That should go through the TV amp. Channel on PC/VGA?RGB(whatever it's called on your channel list).

18. robertpstubbs

Good idea to try.

The turntable has phono cables (red and black) attached. The PC input on the TV is VGA + 3.5mm minijack.

I have boxes of old cables and adaptors, but no phono to minijack.

I was thinking of cutting up a phono M to F extension cable and a minijack to minijack cable and joining them together. What would the connections be?

Or perhaps I should keep the phono extension (it looks a useful heavy duty 6M one) and wire a minijack cable directly into the turntable?

19. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

The "PC" audio input won't work either - all the inputs on the TV are intended for "line level" signals which are higher / stronger than the turntable outputs. The only way you can connect a turntable to any sort of amplifier without a dedicated input is via a preamp similar to the one I linked above, without one you'd have to turn the volume really high just to barely hear anything and the amount of background hiss would be unreal.

20. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I get the feeling this thread is going round in circles! "I'm out" as the say on Dragons Den!!