Porcelain tiles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tore81, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Laying porcelain tiles this week 500 x 300 roughly

Laying on to plywood,

Any good adhesive you reccomnend without priming

Doorway threshold is probably 3mm out of flatness to rest of the ply. Surely I can butter up the back to make up the tile rather than packing ply.

Used 18mm ply everywhere and joints are good but where the toungue would be I can see a tiny bounce with weight hoping this won't cause me to much dramas as I've worked it out where as not on the joints.

Anyone also revcommend a levelling system was impressed using it before. Apologies for a lot of questions first time filing floor

Thanks in advance

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not too sure about primer, but thought there was a mesh matting you could lay over wooden flooring to stop joints cracking prior to tiling.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ideally use 6mm backer board over ply or DItra mat. If not, flexible Addy, and prime with SBR.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m only diy me but, done a bit of tiling over years, walls and floors;

If ur using a bagged (powdered) adhesive, then ur gonna have to prime the ply first - no big deal though is it ?

This will be a SBR based primer, can go branded tile primer by Ardex, Topps Tiles, eg, or just use SBR diluted with water to M I

Whatever you do, don’t use PVA (but you know this) :)

Ready mixed bucket adhesives generally have the primer added, but for floors, always recommended to go bagged ady

As for slight bounce in ply- not good. Even going with flexible quality adhesive and grout, there’s not that much flex and tile failure will only be some time

Can you not take out the bounce by adding some extra screws through the ply ? what’s underneath, floorboards ?

Or drill a hole or two through ply in dodgy area and pump in as much gripfill (or similiar) as you can get in. Stand on area to squish in and then try and pump in a little more. Allow to dry overnight, solid ply

If as you suggest just taking up difference with adding extra addy / buttering back of tile, yeah tile will be level but ply will still flex :eek:

Cracked tiles, cracked tiles or loose tiles will be waiting to happen

If it’s a timber floor, it needs to be as solid as possible to tile onto

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the reply. Bathroom is upstairs minimal plat as theply boards butt up seems to have settled could try running pva in the joint which is only a couple of mm here and there

6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I've had good results with Mapei products in the past and they are a competitive price. As the tiles are porcelain butter the back of each one with adhesive before you lay it. As well adhesive spread on the floor of course! Porcelain is non porous and this helps them stick.
    As said above I'd go with backer board over the ply. Fix down with the flexible adhesive and a stainless steel screws with the large plastic washers sold specifically for this.