Adding Floetrol to vinyl emulsion.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Jun 10, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

As an aside I did get a quote from a local firm to paint the ceiling so that I could get on with other things. Came in at £330 which seemed a bit steep? Or am I just behind the times. Never had a this trouble with distemper!!!!

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

white wash was used in many old houses.
    It was pre modern emulsion and came in a powder and mixed with water. They used it to make white lines in football pitches to. Many houses have it so you need so spray with water then wash/scrape it off. Not a nice job but there it is. If emulsion is over the top of white wash then that will peal off..Some people still say wash ceiling white meaning to use white wash to make ceiling white although what they are asking is to paint ceiling. Get and wash off yourself

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

And very messy to put on if I recall correctly. For some strange reason as a kid I loved the smell of it. Weird!
    As a sprog I used to help my uncle do our house. I'd start at one side and him at the other. By the time we met there was more on me than the ceiling!

4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi
    Got round to it at last! Used the Bullseye 123. Then a couple of coats of Johnstone Flat Matt and the finish is miles better. Not 100% but I can live with it. Really like the flat matt look better than the vinyl matt too.
    Cheers

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I heard dulux flat matt is being disconnected

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Disconnected from what?:D

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Haha. Discontinued.. That's what I was told. Crazy

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Maybe no surprise at it's fairly pricey!

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've been using Benjimin ultra spec 500 flat colour matched to dulux and lovely paint. No flashing or patches. Customer is well happy to. Just seems more than ever folks want flat matt finish but some of the paints give a terrible finish. Nothing worse than painting, then painting again, then again!

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Tell me about it !!!!!

11. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Had similar problem, critical light issue as room had a big window.

Solution, good rub down, 1 coat off bulls 123, then 2 coats of Dulux Ultra Matt, (you might find 1 sufficient)

12. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Seen a few posts on here saying Bullseye 123 before the flat matt, why? I'm just curious as I'm aware the problem is down to reflection on the surface, it was me who first suggested flat matt, I just cant see what difference the 123 makes under a less reflective surface.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It was to stabilize and even out the porosity of what appeared to be an absorbent surface.

fillyboy likes this.
  14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

OK, I see where you're coming from, varying porosity will make patches.

Astramax likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Seal the surf so it don't pull differently creating flashing where filler is or pours patches. Acrylic primer is good enough or gardz as really over kill and cost more to use bull 123

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What do you want to know. Head to Shaw paints Slough

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can you try writing in the queens English old chap!

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Ceilings all done now but just had a final thought. Did I create a problem with the mist coat by using vinyl matt watered down rather than non vinyl matt? Just for future reference!

19. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don't ask.

20. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I'll take that as a yes then