How should I make this joint?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MR HARRY, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

As we were talking about smaller cutters that was what I was talking about. Obviously not large ones. I stand by depth of cut being no more than the cutter width for smaller cutters. It's a good guide I have used for years and I don't break cutters!

And you must have bad cutters because I don't have any problem taking 12-13mm with e.g. a 16mm (trend pro) cutter in my table and hand held with my festool of1400

2. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Only ever used trend pro and Freud cutters in the last 25 years, it’s false economy using cheap cutters and unlike most people on here I personally don’t rate festool tools, and that’s trade use not diy

Jord86 likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

that I 100% agree with :)

Why's that? I see quite a few being used on our sites, and personally I find them well engineered. My big Trend T11 router works well in the table, but the quality of castings and fittings isn't a patch on the festool. I also have a domino700 and ts55 and both are a joy to use.

4. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I’ve had 2 CTL midi in the past, one of which lasted about 2 weeks the other a few months, now I use a fein duster 25l and a flex VCE 35l had them a few years now and never had an issue with either
    My router choice comes down to having used the same style since I did my apprenticeship which was the big Elu or now the dewalt 625 and hitachi ( both extremely well built).i have had a play with festool routers but don’t like how they feel
    Having had a ts55 in the past it feels the same as my makita to use, but now if I was to spend festool prices I’d buy a mafell
    Never seen anything to convince me festools better built and therefore worth the extra price tag

Jord86 likes this.
  5. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

The router worked a treat!

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-20 at 18.15.40.jpeg

chippie244 and Paulie1412 like this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

nicely done :)