3 port valve

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Chrisw2214, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

To use a single even over sleeved is against regulations, so is a wire not insulated as with twin and earth, it states "Single-core cables that are Coloured green-and-yellow throughout their length shall only be used as a protective conductor and shall not be over-marked at their terminations" since using multi-core that does not apply.

I think it should be against the regulations, but with my BS7671:2008 it's not. Maybe latter additions it has changed it was 514.4.2 Protective conductor if you want to look it up.

And yes I would want to use 3 core and earth cables, not 2 core and earth, and even if using 2 core and earth the green/yellow should be over-marked. And it is clearly breaching the regulations not being over-marked at least.

2. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

I have read all your posts and appreciate the time taken to read and reply to me but does anyone know a diy fix for this it can't be that wrong if it works just back to front surely?

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you swap the white and grey wires over it might work ok, can't be sure though because I've only ever wired them up the right way around!

4. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

Lol fair comment I did swap them over as I read this online about a week ago but didn' make a difference unfortunately

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

If the plumbing is wrong with a mid position 3 port valve you can't do anything with wiring, as the cylinder thermostat has both normal open and normal closed contacts in use, but the central heating has only one set in use.

Mid position is both, so if you manually latch the valve to bleed, then you get both central heating and hot water.

The video explains how it works, since supply from boiler is centre port would be easy to mount wrong way around.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As Peter has said, you need to get the plumber back, have him unplumb the valve, physically turn it round and plumb it back in again.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't know why anyone bothers with Y plan and 3 port valves Bazza, I've always used S plan, much better in my opinion.

8. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

Thanks for taking the time and giving me some answers really appreciate it will give the plumber and call and try to get it resolved

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I do think the S plan is better, however we have to work with what has been fitted, I still remember the programmers where you could select 10 or 16 programs, and the domestic hot water had no valve in it, it would get hotter and hotter and in the summer it was just the timer on the programmer that stopped the boiler cycling on/off all the time.

As to W with a priority see the point, but only if boiler rather small.

seneca likes this.
  10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nowt wrong with Y Plan in small property's - however do agree that the S Plan is superior. Some people fit combi boilers in property's which could be plumbed in conventional system types - I will never understand that way of doing things.

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would agree wish I still had a water store, the advantage of a water store is multi-fuel, however it is also dependent on the quality of the heat exchanger or calrififier or something like that.

I know on the narrow boat the unit that heated the domestic water was rather small, and the Willis system also small and it heats tank from top down, seems only used in Ulster though.

However the guy only wants existing system fixing, and it does seem valve fitted wrong way around.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hi Chris, did you get it resolved?