Humidistat controlled extractor in utility room

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by SoulConspiracy, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Hi

I was going to post this in the electricians forum, but I wanted an intelligent answer so posting here.

Is it a waste of time putting a humidistat controlled fan in my utility room? My thinking is that I need the extractor to be on when the humidity is high because we're drying clothes in there. Needing the fan on isn't related to whether someone is in the room or not (like a bathroom) so linking it to the light isn't suitable.

My main concern is that these humidistats aren't designed for this, they'll only work if the room gets totally bathroom steamy. They would need to be able to detect subtle changes in relative humidity for my plan to work.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Hi, I am an Electrician. OOPS!.
    But to answer your question, automatic fans with over run timers are only required in toilets and bathrooms. The fans you fit elsewhere are your choice. The humidistat would probably be better mounted away from the fan, and you will need a source of fresh dry air to replace that thrown out by the fan, Why not buy a dehumidifier and put it in the room, it will work all year round and give dryer air than the fan could provide. There you go, one intellegent answer from an Electrician.

3. Thanks for your suggestion. I had considered the dehumidifier, I could link it up to the waste water. But I wouldn't be complying with building regs- everything I've read says an extract fan is required in a utility room.

(Every time I see someone's already asked the question I want to known the answer to electricians say "get a qualified electrician to come and take a look" without actually answering the question then the thread goes off onto a tangent about what part P does and doesn't say. Last time qualified electricians came to my house they screwed up the job and called me names.)

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is the utility room or whole house a new build then, re. Adhering to regs/ventilation ?

5. Bob Rathbone

I assume this is a retro fit into an existing build. If so it is really up to you if you follow the fan route, fit a de humidifier or both. Remember that "Rules are for fools and for the guidance of wise men". Why should building regs want a fan fitted? The answer is to get rid of a moisture build up in the air. A dehumidifier will do that far better and will satisfy any requirement of the regs unless it specifies a fan is the only solution, which I doubt it does.

6. Yeah, its a room that used to be a kitchen, we converted a larger room into a kitchen and now we're doing up the old one as a utility. New ceiling, new plumbing, replastered, new floor new units. I imagine the building regs enforcers would count it as a change of use, though it is a sort of downgrade in use. The important thing is the opportunity is there to modernise, so maybe it would be good to make it a better functioning room. I'm thinking about this dehumidifier thing, wouldn't I have to get the fluid refilled regularly like in the air con in my car?

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Had one fitted in a rental house as tenants didn't bother to use and damp was becoming an issue.

Reacted to me walking into room with sweat on my brow!!

8. Bob Rathbone

No, the air con on your car has a leak, it should have been repaired before re gassing, that's the law on this stuff. Anyhow, the de humidifier will not loose gas, it is only a fridge unit just like your freezer or fridge. I strongly recommend a de humidifier in a room used to dry clothes. We have a heat pump tumble dryer, that's great and uses 30% of the electricity of a conventional condensing dryer.