New bathroom

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chrisw2214, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

Had my bathroom re done recently and the tiler has tiled the walls but I'm not sure he has followed the brick bond pattern just looking for some advice really as spent a ot of money getting it done and I'm not sure it looks right

Attached Files:

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Looks ok to me. What do you believe is “wrong” with it?

3. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

In the corners behind the bath the brick pattern doesn' carry on around the corner you have two small cut bits next to each other there is also a cut at the top and bottom of the wall each about half a tile ? The boxing in around the waste pipe is also not tiled to pattern just layed straight not if that makes sense. I'm not a tiler have done it before but just came on here for some clarity not bad mouthing just to gain the opnion of professionals

4. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

So one pic is of a corner of the bathroom where the tiles appear to carry on round the corner and one picture where the bath is where the pattern appears to stop and start again on the next wall

Attached Files:

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Looks fine to me. If fully tiles then quite likely to get something like that.

Marginally annoying as it is 1% less than perfect then yes. But perfectly acceptable

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Downside of having large tiles and a brick pattern I guess.

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

This is just a passing comment (not a tiler but do a bit ) no disrespect but choosing such a contrast of tile and grout colours was mistake no1

Astramax likes this.
  8. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

I just picked the tiles and bought them he was supplying adhesive grouts and trim
    What colour would you have grouted juts out of interest obviously to late to change now anyway

9. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

Even though 2 corners are different is that normal ?

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good point, also the gap between the tiles could have been tighter which would not be so noticeable and the use of a pale grey grout would of helped to give a softer appearance rather than in your face.

DIY womble likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The boxing in look OK, if they had fitted the tiles using a bond, would have looked too much.

Hard to say with the smaller end pieces of tiles as not getting the whole picture so we see how they have been installed to the left hand side.

12. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

It's tough to say without seeing the whole room but I think I'd actually be a little unhappy with the corners. I did my own tiles which are quite large, in a brick bond fashion and the corners follow the pattern much better.

13. DIY womble

As Astra said ,pale grey , I do some tiling but no pro , I wouldn't like to have the problems you highlighted ( I'm Ott about such things ) . I on the other hand would probably take twice as long as your tradesman . you should show pictures of the whole of the walls not just one side to get a better judgement from the pros here, the boxed pipe area would do my head in , but that's me , my wife would just like me to say " that'll do, I've finished "

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fair point, they should have been balanced when setting out.

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Ditto!

(or probably 4 times as long!)

Cando

16. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

I tried to upload pics of the whole wall but it says the file is to large any way around this ?

17. Chrisw2214

Chrisw2214 Member

That' what I thought about the boxing in but tiler said it wastes to many tiles following pattern on the soil stack although he never gave me the option I would rather the wastage and it keep to pattern just personal opinon but wasn' sure if that was right or normal ? Bit late now as obviously tiles are on the wall :(

18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Im in a similar boat with what to do on the wall either side of a window, my tiles are 498mm long and being laid brick bond but either side of window is about 400mm so was going to just lay tile on tile like your boxing in rather than have joints running through it, the only difference is, i have 950mm of wall under the window so it will be a change in bond so still to make my mind up as to what will look best. ??

I actually don't mind the grout colour on your tiles.

19. DIY womble

I don't mind the colour if the tiling is 100% its just that it highlights mistakes with it being so bold

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The trouble with brick bond and bathrooms is that unless you're very very lucky, a compromise of some sort will have to be made. The larger the tile, the worse it gets.
    Just imagine that you're setting out some tiling for stack bond...The tiles need to be set out to optimise sight lines of which there are many in a bathroom ie. centred on the bath taps, the shower riser, the toilet or the window for instance. If you're tiling the window sill, that might dictate matters anyway. The problem is exacerbated if more than one feature is on the same wall - which do you choose - or if there is no legitimate break in the pattern such as a return (internal or external).
    So far you've only been looking at which feature is dominant, now you have to decide if it's the 'join' or the 'tile' that that is centred on it and whether that would leave a large enough tile to wrap around the edge of the bath perhaps (without any silly little cuts) or without leaving proportionally small pieces in the corners (this should possibly even have been thought about at tile choosing stage). If you have to compromise, the decision will usually be between initial impact when you walk in, the way things look when you're lying in the bath or how things look when you're passing the time of day on the toilet. This decision should always be made by the lady of the house in my opinion at which point she asks "Do you think it would look nice in brick bond?"

I think your tiler has made a very neat and tidy job with perps all in line and well finished. Without seeing the entire thing in context I can't comment on the corner cuts but I don't share the opinion that the bond should 'always' run round a corner for the reasons above and I'm inclined to agree about the stack - they can be very wasteful of tiles and, if you're truly following the bond, look really busy - drawing the eye to them rather than the expensive bathroom fittings. As for the colour of the grout, he should have asked but equally you should have decided that when you chose the tiles. I would always use white in the absence of any other instruction and personally I think it looks alright with your white suite.

CGN and Jord86 like this.