Consumer unit replacement issue

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coldcut, Jun 27, 2018.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've always called the crimper the potting tool as it seals the pot together but I see you mean the t-bar thing that can screw the pot down, must say I've never used one of those and always screwed the pot to the pyro with a pair of pliers.

2. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

As i want the best advice and haven't read up on anything yet, are RCBOs better than MCBs that they don't trip as much or as easily?
    In winter when the storage heaters go back on, i wouldn't want it tripping easily and wake up and find the heating went off.
    I want the best alternative fitted and in place.

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I am such a nice guy, that I never hold other peoples inexperience against them..;)

A man who knows..
    And knows he knows...
    HE...is a man to know.
    :)
    RS

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

This war-era electrical discussion is all very well, but it does not address the big issue here.
    Your freehold 'landlord' (or the management company that manages the property) is trying it on.
    Bringing an outdated electrical system such as this up to today's requirements for compliance is in NO WAY the responsibility of the leaseholder. If you take this to a possible extreme, there could be 1 year left on a 99 year lease. On what planet would it be fair for the leaseholder to be paying for such an upgrade when the only beneficiary of such an upgrade would be the freeholder?
    If I were the leaseholder, no matter how much time was left on my lease, I would be the one insisting that the landlord upgrade his property that I'm leasing from him. See how quickly they drop the 'requirement' then ... especially when they see that it'll cost them a couple of grand.

5. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

I think so to and I think it has possible come about regarding an incident that happened in an block.
    From what I know, smoke was smelt in another flat coming from the consumer unit.
    This consumer unit was the old grey fusebox so I think they are basically forcing everyone to get an upgrade and get the old fusebox removed.
    Though the letter I received dosen't actually mention that, just a basic threat that they could terminate my lease if i don't produce a certificate.
    Anyway I've got a quote and I'm having 2 consumer units fitted next week.
    I did ask regarding just having the 1 cu fitted, a dual tarriff but he said he didn't want to risk moving the pyro cables.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

In this case, I believe the Insurance Company through the managing company are reasonable in asking for the proof that the installations are safe although not sure about the "must upgrade" - the reason being that there was an incident and they want to ensure other potential problem installations have been installed. They could also have said that they will only continue to provide insurance if all CUs were upgraded ...

If your chosen Electrician is installing two CUs he must be moving those cables in some way, so why can he not install a Dual Tariff?

7. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

I don't know, the only thing he said was cost as I asked about if he was fitting 1 cu or 2 and if it was going to be RCBOs or MCBs.
    So I'm having 2 boards with MCBs.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

So, two CUs cost lest than a single ! Be very careful with what you agree to - maybe consider posting his quote here and get opinions on it.

9. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

1 board i was told is 6 way, at the moment my old fusebox is only 4 way.
    The other for my storage heaters is 5 way.
    One of the boards has dual rcd protection
    The price is £400.

10. The earthing will probably need upgrading,has he mentioned that.

You would be better using a dual tariff board,Wylex do them, or a flexible board like Fire has shown.

He will need to work on the Pyros no matter what he does but two boards is silly as you do not know how the place is wired,it could be in conduit or Pyro.With a single unit you have all the cables in the back of it.

I would also fit RCBO'S because if you have a fault only one circuit will trip rather than all the circuits on the peak or off peak board if there is an RCD main switch.

A little bit dearer but all in all a better installation.

11. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

I'm confused you saying that because the reply I got from the electrician when I asked if it would knock out the other circuits was,
    No each circuit will have its own mcb...

12. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Usually the MCBs are fed via one or more RCDs in the board, so a fault on any circuit may trip the individual MCB but it would also take out the RCD as well, unless it was a straight live to neutral fault which is unlikely. The only way an MCB tripping wouldn't affect other circuits is if there was no RCD present, is this what he is planning to do? maybe he is still working to the 16th edition regs.

13. An RCBO is a combined RCD and MCB,you would have a main switch for the peak and a main switch for the off peak.

Each circuit would then have an RCBO which would trip if there was a fault on that circuit.

If you have an RCD as a main switch with MCB'S and you have a fault then you are likely lose all the circuits on that RCD.

14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

That board in situ is going to p155 all over the flimsy Amstrad build quality of the new stuff, built to last it is and why would it not meet flameproof stats just look at it, that is sheer industrial spec and bomb proof.

What will be replaced, cheap c41nk tat thats for sure

Sparkielev likes this.
  15. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Looooool.....
    Is it not possible to add an RCD switch or could any simple changes be made so that it is protected?
    Or is it better to just upgrade?

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@Coldcut it rather depends on why they want the change.
    Is it the fire thing?
    Is it a safety thing?
    Is it because a uninformed sparky has said to the landlord that the regs say they need changing?

17. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

The letter I received basically said its to be able to renew the buildings insurance.
    If i don't produce a certificate of compliance and show that ive had the old grey fuse box removed and replaced and passed, then i would be in breach of the lease and they would take action against me.
    So I don't know if the law has changed regarding buildings insurance for flats or whether it is because of the 1 incident in another block with the fusebox but either way, they are interperating it to do with fire and safety of the buildings.

18. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

You may have answered your own question, I hate to see these tanks removed and newer cheap tat replace it (how many fires did we have back in the days when these boards were the norm)

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

as per my earlier post. there are no building regs requiring building compnents (electrics) improving provided they are left alone and where appropriate maintained in good order. building compentent need be brought to standard when they are worked on (eg wall cladding andd additional circults etc)

let's go back a step: what does you lease precisely say on the matter. without knowing that you don't know whether the threat of taking action is hollow or very real. what does the lease say?

20. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Your block will also have a meter an DB for the communal areas. Ask your management company for a copy of the EICR for this. Loads of blocks still have old Wylex fuse boards in the communal areas. Providing all tests out ok then they are issued with a satisfactory EICR with C3 for no RCD unless there are ground floor sockets which warrant a C2.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018