Solar heater for above ground pool.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Marc Berry, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi guys

I'm creating 2 solar boxes with black hose coiled up to gather heat while the water runs through approx 60 meters of hose.

I realise it won't heat the pool massively but running a small pump attached to the hose should be cheaper than running the pools pump with an attached heater.

I ordered a boiler water circulator but the connections are about 1.5 inch male threaded or with an adaptor it is about 1 inch female thread. The hose is 15mm internal diameter.

Is there an adaptor get them to fit?

Cheers, Marc

2. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Anyone help?

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Do you even need a pump?
    I once implemented a swimming pool heating system that worked off thermosiphoning. The temperature differential between the hot water at the end of the pipe run and the cooler water at the other end of the pipe was enough to keep the water circulating. The good thing about the system is that it is completely self-regulating, in that it only circulates when the water is heated enough.

DIY womble likes this.
  4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Why aren't pools painted black to aid in water heating

5. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cheers guys.

As the water is cold, at least initially, there isn't any warm to start that circulation so i need the pump to start with at least.

Any thoughts on connecting them?

Thanks, Marc

6. DIY womble

As the solar box heats up it will force the water up, I think

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I can confirm that it does.

8. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

How would the water initially get into hose in the box from the pool? Obviously it's full of air to start and the water will be the same temp both ends.

I've got the pump now anywayaand it has speed settings so I'd like to use it but just need to connect it.

9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Add a Water Solar Panel.
    Works great. I fitted 5 to my pool, water was too warm....
    [​IMG]

DIY womble likes this.
  10. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Blimey that price is steep.

I've already bought all the stuff and partially built it so I'm not looking to do something different just how to couple it. However, I've sorted it now. Cheers.

11. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi guys.

Firstly the circulating pump i bought wasnt up to the job. Not powerful enough but i think it was more it was the wrong type.

Removing the pump didn't then allow the natural pumping action mentioned above unfortunately.

Keeping in mind the water needs to be drawn up about 2.5m onto the shed roof, around about 90m hose pipe then back down, would a submersible pump work? One of those for getting dirty water out of ponds and similar places?

12. DIY womble

Air in solar heater, feed from bottom of pool , out from solar heater insulated, can't understand what's wrong , solar heater isn't laying flat is it ?

13. DIY womble

If it is flat you will need a pump

14. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

hi mate. not sure what you mean with the part 'air in solar heater'.

the intake pipe goes over the edge of the pool and is resting close to the bottom. it then went up to the pump that was screwed to the side of the shed. then up to the first solar box and through about 20m of coiled hosepipe. out that box and into the next with about 25m of the same hose coiled up then out and over the side of the pool at the other end. the solar boxes are covered with sealed perspex and have radiator foil on the inside and underneath the hose. it isnt quite air tight due to the hoses going in and the cable ties that hold the hose in place but it gets plenty hot in there. they are at the same angle as the shed roof which i think is about, 30 degrees maybe.

15. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

this was the end of the day. the sun is on the boxes without shade most of the day[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the failed pump...
    [​IMG]

16. DIY womble

Coiled hosepipe ? Photo pls, also pump 3.3m3/ h max , how many m3 in pool

17. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

This is funny to watch.

PhilSo :D:D:D

The Teach likes this.
  18. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

why?

19. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

[​IMG]

just found out a calculator for cubic meters and it shows as 8.5 for my pool. so that pump is lower but i'm not sure what that would mean. is it that it shouldnt work at all or just too slowly?

20. DIY womble

You do need to use a pump , hot water rises, solar boxes zig zag from bottom to the top, your reflecting foil is actually reducing output , better remove and paint black, spread the coil out as much as possible, insulate pipe that runs from one box to the other and the output pipe to the pool (also put this at the bottom , not near the uninsulated input pipe )your not going to get much power( heat) but you've got this far so worth a go, have a look on line at diy designs. Thermo cycling requires a constant elevation to work so pump required for you , cheap high volume submergible should only be £30 ish, you would probably be better of without the boxes and lay directly onto roof ,spread out as best you can