Car crash

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Had a crash last friday in my car. My fault too!

Turned from dual carriageway, going to smaller road on the right, bus heading towards me which i thought was turning into same road as me but wasnt! It came hurtling into the side of my car! T-boned the car!

My daughter was in the passenger seat!

One hell of a bang! Glass everywhere. Door mirror comes flying into the car.

Daughter screaming. My head pounding, ribs etc hurt.

Fire brigade came first. I managed to climb out and brigade helped my daughter out. She was ok to clamber over the drivers seat. Cuts and bruising on her face.

Brigade were amazed no serious injury as car took full force and bent the pillor between the front and back door. Daughters seat lifted up. Real bad damage on her side of car.

She was in hosp all that day and had a brain scan. She came home with us later that day. She back in school today!

Totally amazed she didnt have any serious injuries.

I have been done for careless driving. I admitted fault straight away. I honestly thought bus was turning!

Police said i will get a letter. Court or awareness course. Obviously i will choose the course.

Been told by brigade car is a right off. I got fully comp. Hope insurance deal with it quickly. Had to hire car.

I am just so grateful that my daughter is ok. I feel terrible and its like a nightmare reliving it in my mind all the time!

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Kools really glad both of you are ok, it goes to show when we step out of the house every day know one nows what’s in store for us, you and your daughter keep well.

3. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Nothing worse than a car crash and especially nothing worse than when you cause it and cause injury to your own daughter.

Fair play for owning up however. Takes a big man to do that, especially when there are injuries involved.

Mistakes do happen though. Just put it down to experience and be glad shes ok maybe take an advanced driving course. I know there are loads for motorcycles so must be a few for cars too. Need it or not it shows you have taken the accident seriously and are trying to better your driving in any way possible to stop ever being put in that situation again.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Commiserations Kools. Last road accident I had was my fault too. Van in front had better brakes than my car had . ( actually .the van in front jammed his brakes on because the traffic in front of him had stopped). My only gripe was the fact that there was a curve in the road and I could see he’d stopped at least 25 yds away from the car in front of him) .

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers guys. I am choosing the course option.

I guess my insurance will sky rocket now but main thing is that my daughter is ok and hopefully i have learnt a valuable lesson. 30 plus years of driving with an accident too. Until now!

Feeling a bit battered and bruised too.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

From reading some of your other posts Kools I could imagine that this might get you down and reinforce some of your darker thoughts.
    Here's an opportunity to really look on the bright side. You've had an accident through a mistake - most of us make them at one point or another - and you've walked away! Your daughter is shaken but OK and it's only a car. Phew!
    Good luck getting things sorted.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Incidents like this is when a dashcam is invalable, had almost identical incident a few months ago,missed by inches, reviewing dashcam footage, car had clearly indicated to turn, then carried straight on.

Glad your daughter & you are ok.

No protected no claims on insurance.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No, no protected no claims unfortunately

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Glad you and daughter are ok mate, probably the last thing you needed at this moment in time.
    Remember steel and glass can be replaced, your loved ones cannot.
    Take care.
    RS

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Pleased your daughter and yourself for that matter are not to seriously hurt, as said above, we all make mistakes some worse than others.

Though i don't follow your beliefs, the big fellow was on your side that day.

He doesn't want you yet, so don't get down by this.

Use it as a lever to propel your life forwards for the better.

All the best to both of you.

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You will eventually look back on this just as a lesson and perhaps even joke about it, so forget it as no serious injuries or deaths.
    If you had protected no claims it frankly makes little difference as I was once advised. The protected no claims does not prevent your insurance company from raising your premiums. And if you moved your insurance to a different company - the protected no claims no longer applies when you had a recent accident history as the no claims protection is only with the company you paid it to.
    It would be a good thing for us all to go to Advanced Motorists training (IAB) and see just how little we know about driving skills, observation skills, and road signs.

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Easily done Koolpic, how many times have any of us pulled out of a turning or onto an island and thought to ourselves "Did I check oncoming traffic?" Luckily we do this instinctively and don't always put the result into long term memory as it is information that is no longer needed once we have pulled out. Great to hear you are both OK.

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks guys. Pic of car:

WP_20180702_13_28_38_Pro.jpg

1st image

14. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

ouch, the car did it's job though. Count your blessings mate and just put it down to experience

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Waiting for insurance to check it out now.

Does it look like a write off? Fire brigade reckon it is plus the tow company.

Front passenger side wheel is bent inwards too!

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I would say it is, the b pillar is damaged so its more than just doors and a wing.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

18. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

yep 100%

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Write off.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cut and shut.