Rawl plugs - to leave or remove?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CuriousGem, Jul 3, 2018.

1. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

I'm posting this in the painters' forum as I'm trying to prep the walls for painting.
    The previous owners of my house had hideous mirrors everywhere which I've removed but I now have rawl plug holes everywhere. What would you do with them? I've heard that you should NOT remove them from plasterboard but push them in and then fill, is that right? How about in concrete walls? Remove and fill? Are there any particular fillers that I should look at?
    I am a novice amateur but determined to learn! Thanks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'm tight ... I remove them for reuse, and then just fill with a decent sandable filler.

DIY womble likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one who pulls them, & occasionally reuse them.:oops:

DIY womble likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

When rawl plugs are in solid walls, unless they appear to just pull out easy without damaging plaster, then I prefer to use a drill with masonry bit to drill them out. Then fill holes

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wind a screw in and pull out with a claw hammer.

malkie129, Jord86 and DIY womble like this.
  6. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

Anyone that removes rawl plugs and reuses shouldn't be allowed to use tools. Trying pushing in further or cut edges off with a stanley blade and fill over. Pulling them out causes damage to the plaster, more filling :(

DIYDave. likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A few on here are working to a very tight budget! Also builders smash things apart where as decorators take thing apart, less filling.:);)

Heat likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

On plasterboard if they are the standard plugs then pull them out. If they are the proper plasterboard plugs which are different I try pull one, but if it's creating damage and don't come out punch them trough. Seal the hole in plasterboard so filler sticks nicely and fill. On solid walls pull them out. Seal hole and fill.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Watching football and typing plus my grammar is terrible.:) Just finished a job though where I think they screwed the wallpaper on solid block plastered walls. I pulled all the plugs out though

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

If the budget for a job is so tight that you need to reuse old rawlplugs that cost a few pence each, then hardly worth doing the job. :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thinking of helping the OAP's out, every penny counts for some folk. :)

KIAB and Heat like this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah, that's that new paste, Screw the wall.

Wayners likes this.
  13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Sorry, hadn’t realised you were that old.

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

18 months I WILL BE :eek:.

Heat likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Oh. Filler. Get toupret standard interior powder filler in red box. Nothing comes close and if anyone says easyfill ill scream

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'll Scream, in a cornet or with wafers sir?

Wayners likes this.
  17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

And there was I joking about your age, pretending I thought you were old and unknown to me you are. :p
    Don’t worry, I am getting on a bit myself. :D

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thank you for those kind words, nice though as matrons just turned up to give me a helping hand in the bath!

Heat likes this.
  19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I feel so ashamed now. :oops:
    I know I should always respect old folk.

Astramax likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your not that old to remember the song, I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!