Lining paper into an internal corner - help please!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Alex Allston, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Alex Allston

Alex Allston New Member

I'm new to wallpapering, and am looking for advice to how best line a bedroom with paper.

One wall is going to be a feature wall with wallpaper, so I plan to line this wall horizontally. The other three walls will be painted, so I intend to line these vertically. My question is what to do with the internal corners. I've seen some YouTube videos of decorators cutting the lining paper into the corner and butting up the two papers, and some that slightly overhang the corner by 5mm. Which method is better?

Also, if I do overhang the lining paper by 5mm over the corner, does the next piece of lining paper butt up to it, or do I overlap that with the first piece, then cut through both pieces (like you do with patterned wallpaper)?

Thanks for your help.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Cut corners so you start next wall is vertical. If you go around corner it will throw out although that don't matter to much with with lining but you get hollows in corner. 5mm overlap is fine in corner or lay one over the other and splice through. Pull away off cut and they will butt up. Use wallrock fibre liner with ready mixed paste as lower water content if you want the best

3. Alex Allston

Alex Allston New Member

So you recommend going round the corner a bit with the horizontal paper, then overlapping it with the vertical, then cut through both?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. If painting splice as you can use a bit of filler if needed to tidy. Stops the lump from overlap if it bothers you. If you paper over it don't matter over lapping I find but if your painting then try splice through. It's whatever works for you as no right or wrong way

5. Alex Allston

Alex Allston New Member

Great, thanks for the advice!

6. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Depends on what paper, I use 1400g as it’s quite thick I tend to cut into internal corner.

When I used to use 1000g I did overlap slightly as it was much thinner.

However each to their own.

7. Alex Allston

Alex Allston New Member

Yeah that's the grade I'm using too. I was looking at the walls just now thinking it would be easier for me to butt the paper just into the corner for each wall, rather than round it and overlapping to slice the middle. Only because I haven't done it before and I'm worried each piece will take me a long time and by the time I get to overlapping and splicing, the other wall will be dry and I wouldn't be able to peel back the paper. No idea how long it takes to dry!

So is it ok to just paper into a corner all the way around the room? Is there a reason why this would be a bad idea? One wall I'm hanging patterned wallpaper onto the lining paper, the other lined walls will be painted.

Cheers

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Trim into corners, fill and round off with caulk. Hides gaps , gives clean Finnish