Which Car?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Jul 5, 2018.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I may be looking for a new car after the accident as i am sure it is going to be written off.

I am after a small 2 door. Economical to run, fuel and tax etc.

Comfortable. Nice smart interior. Not too old. 2013 oldest willing to go to.

Budget, ideally £5k. Can push higher but not really wanting to go much higher as need money for house.

Any ideas guys? Ta.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why not get another Suzuki Swift?

3. Broon

Broon Active Member

Well I would suggest your usual's like Fiesta, Corsa, Punto but if you only need the two front seats really and not much else then a C1 or 106 or have a look at Ford Ka's or Fiat 500's. Plus on many of them you can get good PCP deals so you probably won't ever own the car but if you do low millage then paying a set price sometimes under £100 for a brand new car a month is worth it. Plus will be under manufacturers warranty should anything serious go wrong. Just a suggestion.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How about this one? Plus they say your name (kind of)

5. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I'd go with something German. Possibly a polo or a golf.

Engine wise I'm usually inclined to go for as big as possible as the little engines are useless and are always ragged to within an inch of their lives. There is a reason why you don't find too many high mileage small engined cars. Plus something that you can overtake with safely is a big plus.

Depending on the sort of driving you do and and where you live dictates whether to go for a petrol or diesel.

Live in a city? Petrol... live in the sticks with lots of A roads then get a diesel.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Doris Bodgit bought a hardly used VW Polo, very nice but not cheap. I'm not sure you'd get one under 5 years old for £5k. They are very nice cars though, OH's model is the 1 litre turbo eco model, plenty of grunt, 60 MPG, 7 speed sequential/dual clutch gearbox so best of manual and auto worlds. Its a 5 door, we hate 2-3 doors as the doors need more space to open.

koolpc and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very nice the Polo.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Toyota Yaris would be my first (and only choice)!

I wouldn't go anywhere near a diesel for a next car. I'm truly sad that my beloved 2013 VW campervan is diesel ... so a DPF and EGR problem waiting to happen ... never mind potentially being excluded from some city centres, or having to pay huge amounts to drive in them.

KIAB and Heat like this.
  9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I am another fan of the Polo. The small engines are incredibly good and more than adequate for general driving unless you are regularly traveling long distances.
    But take a look at other members of the VW group - the Skoda Citigo is a great ‘wee’ car with lots of room in front and very similar to a Polo.
    Also consider taking one on a lease which can cost little more than a mere £100 a month with option to buy after the period which I think is more than 3 years.

KIAB and koolpc like this.
  10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Agree, diesel is now unwanted and petrol engines have become so advanced with extra performance and great fuel efficiency compared to years ago.
    Only go for a diesel if you get a bargain used one

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Corsa? Pretty cheap to buy and cheap to fix if it goes wrong?

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In short anything with a Japanese badge on it!

Heat likes this.
  13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

16 year old Lexus RX300 here, bought from new 02 plate, still runs smooth as butter.

Heat likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have had two 5 door Yaris as a courtsey cars,both very nippy condering one had a 3 cylinder 1ltr engine & other one was a 1.5 with 6 speed box.

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Agree with above posts about Japanese cars - especially if built in Japan.
    Reliability is the best.

KIAB likes this.
  16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Polo - built in Spain or South Africa
    Golf - since 2014 built in Mexico

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have had 3 Golf's and 2 Polo's over the last 35 years all unreliable carp, several Astra's not much better now have a Honda 4x4....it wouldn't know what a garage is!

Heat likes this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sat in a Citigo. I agree, plenty of room.

Heat and KIAB like this.
  19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, the Citigo is a surprise to drive in every way.
    You should work out the expected costs of buying second hand vs taking out a brand new car with no worries.
    I do like to fully own a car I must admit.

20. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Get a defender. May not fit any of your requirements but job done.