Which Car?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Jul 5, 2018.

1. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Won’t get much for 5k

Astramax likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I'd go for a Micra.
    Lovely little underrated car that just keeps going, going and going.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Straight over a cliff?

4. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

And so it should :D

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

A friend of mine used to have a Micra. He went to the garage and asked the guy for a windcreen wiper blade for his Micra. The guy told him that seemed like a fair swap!

KIAB and PhilSo like this.
  6. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

So happy your sense of humour persists.
    PhilSo

koolpc likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its like that in work. I may be cheery on the outside while dying on the inside!

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

So its either a 2.5 tonne 4 x 4 or a small 1 tonne nissan micra.
    Great advice guys.
    :rolleyes::p
    RS

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

You could always catch the bus in the meantime .

?

PhilSo ( exposed )

10. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Wife has a Polo, wouldn’t bother not good enough for the extra money. Fiesta not a bad car.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Unfortunately that is very true:(.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

kools, the lord let you and you're daughter walk away from this upsetting incident, without doubt an almighty shock for both of you, we all can guess how bad you probably feel, terrible at the least, look on this as a wake up call, an opportunity to become a more positive person, a new kools, sometimes we have to take a sideways or backwards step in order to move forward and achieve our ambitions.

KIAB, koolpc, Dam0n and 1 other person like this.
  13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers Astramax. Good advice.

14. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

I have had two Micras, both inherited. Great as a little run around and easy to park and very reliable. The newer ones appear much bigger though, my neighbour now has one of them and it is still going. I currently have a little Skoda FABIA, very reliable and comfortable. Skoda get lots of good reviews for their cars, I know they are owned by VW but do appear much more reliable. My wife has a Toyota Rav4 (04 plate) reliable and very comfortable. Agree with those who recommend Japanese cars, from my experience they are less problematic than German and French cars. My SIL had a Polo, nothing but problems. He now has a Audi and no money. I think it has cost him over £2000 in the last couple of months and there are still problems and he has had a £1500 quote as the engine has to come out to replace a timing chain tensioner. My daughter has a Mini, it took me three days to replace the heater motor, I had to strip the dashboard back to the bulkhead, everything out. The mechanic at the garage doing the MOT recommended one to his mother, he now regrets it as he is having to repair it. My other daughter has an old Land Cruiser that keeps on going with the odd repair.

Do a search for car reliability, also Honest John car reviews.

Good luck with your choice.

15. My first priority when looking for a car is how big the boot is.
    Pointless if you cannot fit a load of tools in it.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

VW Passat boot loads of room.
    RS

17. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

This is going to be a tricky one Kools, I do reckon Japanese cars have the best reliability record but at the end of the day only you can decide from a, what’s available, b whether you feel comfortable in it c whether it’s value for money and affordable, d miles on the clock, previous service record etc. Buying from s trader will give you 6 months protection on any pre existing fault. As others have said have a look on Honest John and see what he says. Hope this doesn’t become an on-going dilemma like the house purchase. Ah, there’s always s chance to buy some time and kill two birds with one stone with a camper van for the summer/ autumn. No - don’t.

KIAB likes this.
  18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you're mileage is low, then fuel consumption shouldn't be a deciding factor.

19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, koolpc.

You want a suggestion for a replacement car? Here's one, and it's a link to the exact actual car to buy :).

Give it some thought before dismissing it :rolleyes:.

It's a Vauxhall Meriva. Yes I know it isn't 2 door or particularly small. Yes I know they are quite bland, but this one is an exception. Yes I know it doesn't initially fit your criteria in any shape or form, but do consider it.

This one is only 3 years old and has covered only 31k miles. It looks virtually new in every respect. Being an SE model it is very well equipped with even a panoramic roof and has really nice seats which are comfortable and also high-sitting which is good for bad backs. It has a wonderful 1.6 diesel engine which is very smooth and powerful with over 130 bhp, but still returns well over 50mpg in real life conditions. Road tax is around £30 pa.

This car cost over £20k new and I think there's a good chance they will accept £6,500 or so as it's been on ebay for a while (I know because I have been seriously considering it for myself but it's probably a little too small for us).

The Meriva is not a eye-catching car, in fact it's quite bland in the wrong colour. This one, however, bucks the trend; I think the black glass roof and neat alloys work well with the white bodywork, and there is a red one too if you prefer which is even cheaper. It'll have bags of room inside, be very quiet and comfy to drive and will handle long journeys with ease whenever you want to, whilst still being an easy-to-use town car. The dash is a bit fussy, but the inside is otherwise actually nicely classy with the half-leather seats and panoramic roof.

Treat yourself :D. I doubt you'll find anything near this for the money. They are excellent value second-hand because they are not 'trendy', but this one looks really smart and is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Are you anywhere close to Blackburn?

WHITE: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Vau...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

RED: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Red...033564?hash=item3d5f5e7f5c:g:~HAAAOSw4DJaZUS8

20. That is a despicable thing to do Mahnas Suliman trying to spam your cars after someones misfortune.
    Looks like they have also been clocked to have such similar mileage.

WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.