Painting newly plastered wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Megan1810, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Megan1810

Megan1810 New Member

Hello,

We have recently had two rooms downstairs re-plastered. It dried for about 2 weeks when we then applied two coats of white paint for new plaster. We have painted one feature wall sage green with rest being a light cream. The green wall has come out so patchy! After 4 coats I have given up and not sure what to do next.

It almost looks like some areas of the plaster are smooth and some are rough but we didn't notice this before we started painting.

Is there any tricks to getting a smooth finish?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What brand and type of paint are you using?

3. Megan1810

Megan1810 New Member

Both the white and green are Wickes and the green one is the master finish range. We used the same paints in our bedroom which again we had re-plastered and it worked really well.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Did you initially use a watered down 'mist coat' with white emulsion on the bare plaster?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

was this applied using a roller....?

6. Megan1810

Megan1810 New Member

No we just used the white paint for new plaster and all coats were applied with a roller

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

There’s so many differant variations of the word ‘patchy’

Difficult to diagnose when not actually seeing problem. Patchy can be down to so many issues;

Rubbish paint
    Rubbish roller
    Rubbish plastering
    Rubbish painting technique
    Plasterer splashing PVA over walls
    Etc

When you say some areas are smooth and some areas rough, then is that not the problem right there ? (Rubbish plastering - see above)

Did you do any prep to walls before applying paint ?

Any light sanding, filling ?

It’s easy to miss imperfections on newly plastered walls but that’s where the mist coat really comes in handy. Not only does it seal the plaster, it also highlights dodgy bits that uv missed. This is a pain but great at the mist coat stage as you just sand, fill, sand, mist coat again, then lovely walls, all ready for your emuslion

But realise you haven’t gone this route, I’ve never used the new plaster paint - don’t get the problem with using watered down contract emuslion as mist coat - for me, does the job and works brilliantly

Again can’t speak for wickes paint, not used it

Either way, emuslion is easy to sand down, you just need to work out where the issue lies - poor roller technique or the plastering is actually rough

Either can be sanded smooth, if back to bare plaster, please just mist coat (watered down Matt emuslion, consistency like single cream) these bare patches

Disappointing I realise when you get a less than perfect finish after the expense and ur hard work :(

KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A lot of posts recently on this subject, around 3 or so this week alone, to the average person paint is paint that's all, Wickes, Valspar, B&Q paint etc is paint I avoid because of the quality, a lot of far better paint exist for a little more money such as Little Green, Dulux Trade and other brands mentioned recently by Wayners, people rarely look any further than the paint and therefore focus on the paint rather than the substrate finish to which the paint is to be applied to or the standard of tools used to apply the paint. It is often said 'anyone can paint' well yes that's true but with what knowledge and to what standard..............hear endeth todays rant!

9. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Astra as the recognised expert in decorating matters you say a lot of posts in the last week or so on this matter, just wonder if in your opinion the hot weather has anything to do with it, differential drying etc?

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes that is a factor also condition of surface to be painted, aplication technique, consistency of paint. The paint finish is only as good as what's underneath it which is down to thorough preparation.

ramseyman and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Skimmed or replastered!

Replastered & dried in 2 weeks,can sometimes take longer than that to throughly dry.

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very true.

13. dansloi

dansloi New Member

If your plaster is mirror smooth, its NOT because the plasterer likes you; the paint will not adhere to it :mad:

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's it. Blame the plaster. Must be something he did and many other post that say the same thing. No it not. No spread splashes Pva over the surface. Sand walls smooth. Get a water based undercoat tinted if it helps and coat up walls to seal well. Go get some decent paint and top off. I'm guessing walls were pours so sucked up paint and it doesn't help with this heat. You got to get the paint on quickly and not go back over yourself or it will lift and pickle up.

KIAB likes this.
  15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Hooray for the plasterer's

Wayners likes this.
  16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIY womble I'm a decorator and i plaster but sometimes others paint what I've skimmed. I always prime my plastering ready for emulsion to save the hassle and complaints. Makes it easy for home owner as they can just emulsion with no mist coat ect. In 20+ years I've never had any come backs. Wickes actually sell a plaster primer but I am sure it's just an acrylic primer that's twice the price of other brands. It's £30 for 6lt but works great. Masking tape won't pull it off so I think that's a solid test it's stuck. Paints over nice to

DIY womble likes this.
  17. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Will give it a try, love wickes , cheapest for stud, boards and plaster , get beads online, £76/ 100 , prefer mesh beads but haven't found cheap bulk price. Can understand surface problems from using water and over trowelling on irregular suction ( panic, got too many walls going on , a bad day , don't care, need to get a different job that you can sit down whenever you feel like it , etc )

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also known as 'over polished'.

19. dansloi

dansloi New Member

Just a direct response to original post stating that some patches are rough & some smooth Astramax. I also do a lot of plastering & always do the mist-coat to qualify the finish.

20. Megan1810

Megan1810 New Member

Thanks for all your responses- we shall try sanding down and painting again!