4" roller recommendation for emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Got any? Ideally from hosts, TS or Wickes.

Got to paint the bathroom and given the small area, is easier with a 4" roller.

TS have
    Rota Mini Roller Set 4"
    Rota Professional Velour Roller Sleeve 4"
    Rota Premier Dualon Mini Roller Sleeve 4"

Any good?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have got a ten pack of the Rota Velour and very nice fine finish with emulsion

Use them for cutting in after first using a brush, hate seeing brush marks around frames, etc, when the wall has a rollered finish

Go for it - buy them :)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Poor reviews, stick with Hamilton 4" Prestige Medium Pile.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Fusion ice from Pro Dec. Hamilton green 4 inch I really like. Foam for some things like trim

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What’s your comment re. ‘Poor reviews’ based on Astra ?

Reviews on TS site or elswhere/personal experiance ?

TS only shows 10 reviews so not that conclusive whilst 8 out of the 10 are favourable

The 2 negatives mention roller shedding loose fibres but I’ve always given them a quick rinse before first use anyway which deals with this issue (if in fact it is an issue)

It’s good to not always be seduced by the big name brands and slick advertising and give the smaller players a try out

But ...... each to their own preference of course :)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hamilton prestige 4" short pile felt roller excellent product.

upload_2018-7-7_10-15-14.jpeg

RolandK likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Based on the link posted by Dr Bodgit, rated 3 out of 5 poor to average don't you agree.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s only one review on the mini roller set though Astra, (Docs link, and not what I recomended)

I recommended the Rota mini velour rollers, differant beast to docs link :) and favourable reviews

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks for the input Fellas, I went with the Hamilton 4" Prestige Medium Pile as recommended by Astra in the end, as its a recommended brand, recommended by Astra who I trust and should give more paint pick up than the short pile felt. The Rota Professional Velour Roller Sleeve 4" are certainly better value at under a £5 for 10, Hamilton set of 10 was around £15 at my local Brewers but they are not known for their keen prices.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As my comment above - seduced by the big brand names !

Should have bought a tin of Heinz Baked Beans at the same time :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Big brand names are where they are for one reason, they are market leaders. It would be wise to not waste you're money on the beans............ you have enough wind already. :eek:

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bigger brand rollers are better I find. They don't suffer disintegration like the £2 ROTA 9" which are brilliant for one time only. I always carry them with me.Wooster pro doo-z rollers are silly money but wash out and last ages with a good finish to.Bringing it back to 4" the new to the market ice fusion from Pro Dec are really good at 75p each as mentioned and good for gloss and emulsion. I do like the Hamilton green though when applying emulsion and sometimes trim paints on doors ect. Can put air in and spoil finish though on some gloss and satin finishes if you go to fast

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep also have pro dec 9” micro fibre short pile rollers and lovely finish. Find they wash out well and ready for next use

Obviously as diy, not using this stuff everyday but do like to look after my tools so even though cheap, would rather wash out and not consider as single use throw away item

Also comes down to time I agree
    Have simply chucked them in a bucket of water and leave to soak for a week and wash out following w end

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

put rollers in the washing machine. Trick of the trade but don't let the nearest and dearest catch you!

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Times are changing though Astra

Why are Aldi and Lidl doing so well I wonder, stocking mainly own brands and unheard of brands ?

As consumers, never have we had so much choice when it comes to buying pretty much anything

Our decisions don’t need to be purely price driven, sometimes good to buck the trend and our natural behaviour patterns of following what we know and have become accustomed to

I agree, ur a pro, I’m a diy’er, I get it

If I get a s hit finish from my roller, yeah I’m gonna be annoyed and stressed, might cost me some extra time in sanding down and painting again

If you get a s hit finish (wouldn’t actually happen) :) - could cost you the job and future work from client plus a lot of lost time - I really do get it

But don’t automatically discount items on brand alone. Roller I mentioned had 8 out of ten positive reviews (whatever you can take from forum reviews)

Anyway
    Enough hot air from me
    Gonna eat some more baked beans (Aldi brand) :)

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Already put one roller on rinse and spin cycle to remove any fluff :D

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha nice idea but in my house, it ain’t gonna happen

I’m happy to do any cleaning or household chores around the house, actually like housework to be honest

But I’m not allowed to touch any laundry task whatsoever, too many fudge ups on my part and the dearest is ultra fussy about all laundry aspects - of which I have no complaints :)

KIAB and Wayners like this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you a plumber?

are you an electrician?

are you a decorator?

are you a ceiling contractor?

are you a painter?

are you a plasterer?

are you a heating engineer?

Oh no you are a know all teacher who with his mate(s) does moonlighting at any opportunity taking the bread and butter from the table of decent hard working time served tax paying trades people. You gave yourself away asking about how to access to paint a few windows with a shady picture taken from within a car very recently, no doubt pricing up a job for your mates and you to do this summer school holiday. Yes DIYDave times are changing, but carry on and don't forget you're trademark get out line..............'I'm only DIY'.:eek::eek::confused:o_O:confused:o_O

That's me done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Astra

Are you a decorator ?

Private detective ?

Stick at the decorating Astra as your line of enquiries towards me are way way off

I’m a teacher moonlighting on jobs during the summer holidays ...... this is the stuff of fiction Astra

Quite a nasty accusation actually but oh well, I’m not gonna loose any sleep over it

All over a discussion on rollers as well...... unbelievable

No amount of emojis sum up ur post to be honest !