Grinding Wrought Iron & Concrete

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Gordon J, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Hi There.

I'm going to be removing a wrought iron fence in a few weeks and have purchased a HITACHI G23ST/J1 2000W 9" ANGLE GRINDER 230V with a MARCRIST BF650SF TURBO DIAMOND BLADE to do the cutting.

I'm hoping this combination will make light work of cutting the fence to pieces, I have all the necessary PPE and I'm prepared (I think) for the kickback & sparks. And I'm well aware of the potential for injury.

This is as much a brag as anything as it's a beast of a machine and I can't wait to use it. :)

Request 1; I'm experienced with powertools but this is my first angle grinder so any advice regarding it's use will be gratefully recieved no matter how basic it may seem to you.

Request 2; Can anyone please recommend a suitable grinding disk as I may need to smooth off any leftover sharp edges & also the post stubs where they enter concrete?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    malkie129 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Fire extinguisher somewhere handy............just in case.:)

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

With a 9" grinder just be warey of snatching of the blade, it will rip your wrists otherwise.

AlvyChippy and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point.:)

When cutting angle iron,watch for snatching of the blade when part way through the cut,as the angle iron can collapse/ fold over onto the blade.

6. Sheelin

Sheelin New Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it cuts like the Marcrist CR850, then it's ok, but a darn expensive blade for cutting old angle iron,I would have bought a few of the cheaper blade you listed.

8. Not once does the original poster mention Angle Iron,did google say that.
    The original poster is asking advice from someone that knows what they are talking about and have experience in what he is about to do.
    Not someone who gives out what they read on google.

9. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Usually prop some ply around the area to protect from flying objects , I bought about 100 stone cutting discs from bnq about 10 years ago for 10 p each and use them for metal as well . Don't forget plan b pity

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

The blade you have is ok to cut the iron. As others say watch for snatching as a 9" grinder has a load of welly and can hurt, I know! Take it easy and let the machine take it's own time and don't force it. Don't know how big the fence is but might have some scrap value there?

KIAB likes this.
  11. As Rolandk says it might be worth something in scrap or if quite nice consider an Architectural Reclaimation yard.

Have you not thought about using a 4 1/2" grinder it is a lot easier to use.

12. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I'm grateful to everyone who replied.

So;

1. Steel toe cap boots - wouldn't have worn but now will.

2. Fire extinquisher; this would not have occurred to me until too late but one will be on hand. TY Astramax

3. Localise the work area with some timber, but keep enough room for the tool to operate unimpeded.

4. Norton blades have been recommended more than once, so getting some tomorrow.

5. Big tool for the job?
    Yep, have to admit to being drawn in by macho desire but also the advice that you should buy the best you can afford, I'm hoping that this combination will go through the iron like the proverbial knife through butter. I know the blade was dear but I'm hoping it'll last for a long time as the reviews say, I'll be cutting slabs at some point later too. The tool won't be in use every day, not at first anyway but I'm hoping it'll do me for years. Cheap tools really are false economy- learned that the hard way.

6. Kickback sounds like a significant threat so it'll be nice and gentle all the way, letting the tool do the work. Easy does it, like a core-cutter.

7. I think there may be around £20 in scrap value. Whatever the case that'll go back to the customer.

I'm indebted to you all yet again.
    Gordon. :)

13. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Forgetting about health and safety for a moment, how close is this fence to the house?, any windows nearby?
    Decorated a house last week where a BT engineer had cut some steelwork with a grinder in close proximity to a window, the sparks fused to the glass and made a right old mess, brown rusty stain that wont budge. I've also seen on several occasions plumbers cut through cast iron soil pipes, they might sweep up and for as long as the weather is ok, it all looks fine, light rain shower, an entire house elevation and half a dozen upvc windows ruined, or at the very least, requiring a hell of a lot of remedial work.

14. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

God, what a thought!

The fence is about 5 or 6 metres from the bungalow window so as a result of your suggestion I'll be sending the sparks in the opposite direction towards the road.

As there may be cars parked nearby I'll be putting some sheet timber between the workzone and them. I reckon I'll be building a makeshift shed to control where the sparks fly.

I'll stop cutting if pedestrians/animals are near.

I'm glad I asked, I never realised so much could go wrong.

Thanks for that. Good one.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  15. DIY womble

Worry more about your life , it'll cut through you like butter

16. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I'm getting the impression that this tool is too much for a newb.

Maybe I'll return the Angle Grinder and buy a new hacksaw instead. :-/

DIY womble likes this.
  17. DIY womble

Simple, safe, cheap and saves going to the gym

18. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

You know I might invest in the 4 inch grinder for this job and keep the big one for slab work.

19. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

At five or six metres you should be fine, all the damage I've seen from rust stains have been when cutting a metre or so from the house.
    Iron filings from the cut obviously are a fine dust and will rust wherever they settle.

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

4" or 4.5" will take forever to cut through, just use 9" letting it do the work and you holding it nice and firm but not so firm that you gets finger cramps.