Sprit levels

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by KIAB, May 1, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Noticed the bubble on the 1200 is a lot lighter compared to others.

This one is almost 10 years old, purchased in Sept 2007.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Didn't get a reply from my e-mail, so just rang them.

Need to post the level to them with proof of purchase, they will cover the return postage.

If i post it, it will cost me £19!

May decide to go there myself as is only under 20miles away.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a bad idea, might get some free goodies.:)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yesterday had a good look at the FatMax levels, do not like the milled top finish, a dirt trap, & the 1200mm was a rather lightwieght level, didn't feel like it would survive knocks or last very long.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I personally don't like them, larger body than they need to be considering how light they are, to me they look nice, but feel diy, style over substance.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely, feel flimsy, not a patch on my old Stabila.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a worthy alternative to stabila that ticks all the boxes, Stanley, ox, dewalt, forge steel(!), silverline(!!!) all of them look the business nice and shiny and branded well, but, no, just no I'm afraid. Especially with an important a task as levelling things, I stick with tried, tested and approved. Did you look at the telescopic stabila I mentioned earlier in the thread?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Haven't found anyone who stock the telescopic Stabila locally, so will poke my nose around Bristol end of the week.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Took my 2m level to the center in Shirley.

The customer advisor said that Stabila levels cant be adjusted as the levels are moulded in, on Stanley ones can be adjusted if out.

They have a jig and tested mine, a few minutes later he came back with a shiny new level, I asked if he said it was out and his reply was, it was in tolerance.

Been over a year since having the time to take it back, so I ended up buying a 1800 Fat Max one from SF when they were on offer. Think I may sell this Stabila now as don't want to many levels. The 1800 one is more than fine for leveling up door linings.

Happy in now that the level has been sorted, but a bit of a pain to drive around in these heat.

I would recommend anyone if they purchase a level online to test its accuracy before using, would save you so much hassle and time. When I started the Telebeam project, it was this level I was using, so now know why I was getting odd measurements.

The bubble should stay at the same point when turning through 180 degrees, with this one they didn't match.

Wayners and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good result.:)

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Glad it's sorted as a faulty level is of no use.

14. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I've heard through the grapevine that you can buy bubbles for spirit levels! You've gotta ask over the counter though as they don't keep them on the shelves...

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The number of times I have seen people use a mobile phone app to check level. Even seen a couple of instances on the TV consumer programs where people have used a mobile phone to measure angles :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I bought an electronic level/inclinometer a while back and find it so easy to use. Just use it on a diy basis but just wondered why you pros seem to prefer the bubble type? Is it that they are more robust for day to day work?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The small inclinometers are great for things like table saws but the problem with most electronic levels is cost and availability in long lengths

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes mine is only 600mm. Used it to fit kitchen recently and when the fitter came to do the worktops and splashbacks he said everything was spot on level and plumb according to his bubbles!

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A level with a light up bubble is handy. Pity the good quality levels aren’t made with a light.
    I stick a piece of white tape behind the bubble and that makes it very much clearer to see and be accurate.
    Laser levels are the professional way to do long length levelling though

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are, Stabila 196-2 LED series.:)

https://www.axminster.co.uk/stabila-196-2-led-illuminated-level-ax967868

https://www.stabila.com/en/products/details/type-196-2-led-spirit-level.html

Also Stanley Fat Max levels.