walkie talkies

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by memarkdspark, Nov 15, 2005.

1. memarkdspark

memarkdspark New Member

can anyone recommend license free two way radios, there for use in office blocks so need some range but do not want to spend mega money on GP300's etc

2. mitch2801

mitch2801 New Member

3. revdbadger

revdbadger New Member

Go on, I'm sure you'll impress walking around with them.
    Hahahahahaha.

4. memarkdspark

memarkdspark New Member

well it is a mickey mouse job........

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

6. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

don't bother with that,

Just haggle my mobile phone co into a good deal
    (500 mins cross network, free voicemail inc vat) £25.00 per month

then I just call the apprentice on his mobile instead of buying a walkie talkie

7. 3c Electrics

3c Electrics New Member

Hi

Worked in a warehouse last year, conveyor controls etc! the distance was about 300 mtr + from end to end.
    We just got some cheap ones from Comet and they worked fine over this distance £39.00

If you look in RS books or www.rswww.com you can get some that work on distances of 2kM + for commercial / light industrial work for about £100 each.

3c

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

See above Screwfix link!!!!!

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Almost 13yrs old. Spammy spam.

10. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Yeah but as usual, Screwfix cocks the continuity up by removing the spam and leaving the reply!

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yep....

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I can't find the link? Desperate for some yummy sandwich filler.

13. WalkieTalkie

WalkieTalkie New Member

14. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Zello is a app on phone that makes it a walkie talky. Uses data or wifi. You can have multiple people linking in. Many useful features built in.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thank you very much for digging up a topic started 15 years ago.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  17. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Interesting sales pitch "I repair and supply walkie talkies"
    Is that like a restaurant advertising "Sick bags supplied with every meal"?

Any how get a pair(2 pieces) of cheap walki-talkies from PCworld, Decathlon complete with rechargeable batteries & Charger for £40.00
    If get broke chuck away like a disposable lighter and buy another set. Cost more is postage to return for repair.

Unless my Boss was going to supply me with a Iphone with Zello loaded as a substitute for a £20.00 walki-talkie
    If I drop the iphone be a expensive gimmicky walki-talkie
    I spend more time on forums, than use it for work.....Try doing that on a walki-talkie :)

Roger
    Over and Out
    "Beep"

18. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I got a couple of 888S handies, very cheap, however thought I would check and found not set to PMR446 so would have been illegal to use as supplied, not even sure is strictly legal now, they are set to the PMR446 but there is nothing on them to say they are set to PMR446 frequency and power output, I also have my Baofeng UV B5 memories set to PMR446 so I can talk to my wife again not sure on if strictly legal.

I did try reading the regulations and I can't see anything that says the radios need a badge of some kind to say PMR446 so I have used a computer patch lead and "Chirp" to set the frequency and power level to PMR446 and would not think likely to get into trouble using them. You can get a pair of Baofeng 888s radios for around £18 they as sold as ham radios on some adverts and walkie talkies on others, I have checked mine with other radios marked PMR446 and confirmed now are on the correct frequency, I tested on a bike ride one in house in bedroom by window and other with me riding on the side of river Dee towards Chester so flat and no buildings around, and they are good for around 5 miles, so not bad for what I wanted, idea is when on a bike ride I have a normal bike and wife has e-bike so she is faster than me up hills but I am faster then her on the flat, so we are not always together, so if something delays either of us at back, we can tell the other what has happened without the need for other to stop to answer phone. So can stop at top of rise rather than half way up.

As to text with radio yes have used a walkie talkie and a Amiga computer shows how long ago, and I was able to talk to my son in North Wales when I was in Suffolk using packet radio, but we were both licensed at the time, and now find whatsapp far easier and faster, things have moved on, but £18 for a pair of walkie talkies is cheaper than cost of phone if damaged at work. Also at work my Baofeng UV B5 can be set to works radio frequency so I can hear what is going on, when the train left the station so know when to get out of the way, don't rely on the radio, but good second string to give warning.

Range with repeater around 8 miles, but some black spots, so use duel watch and listen to both input and output of repeater. I don't transmit on that frequency. Again not sure if strictly legal to even just listen, may not be strictly allowed with licensing conditions, but does make it safer.

But without "Chirp" and the programming lead the set I bought would not have been legal, in fact could have interfered with emergency services. So unless you buy the programming lead and ensure correct frequency they could get you into a lot of trouble, so do be wary when buying cheap walkie talkies.

WillyEckerslike likes this.