Which is the better? 2008 with 80k miles or 2012 with 120k miles

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Looking for a new van and had a look at a Ford transit 2008 with 80k miles and a 2012 with 120k miles on the clock.
    If they were both similar condition would you go for a older model with less miles or newer with more miles? Thanks

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Did you give them both a good test ride

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Don't talk to me about Transits, just got rid of one.

However, the newer one with higher mileage because the drivetrain, suspension, engine are all fairly robust and are capable of very high mileages, the ungalvanized bodies aint.

My 2006 transit required sills last lear, rear spring hangers this year, only 87000 miles but was breaking out in rust everywhere.

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Not yet it's just two vans near me which I'm going to have a look at. Looking for a ford transit swb,low roof etc. What should I be able to get for £5000 including vat?
    I was going to go and have a look at a van garage near York, Ben Buck commercials but after a quick Google he's been done in the courts for fiddling mileage and paperwork on past sales and lots of negative reviews so may give it a miss!

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

So if you had £5000 to spend on a transit size van, which make model would you buy? Thanks

6. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I buy ebay but not in your price range and can do most mechanics , bought a 3x3 ebay conservatory £80 and didn't even take the trailer to collect
    My Galaxy https://imgur.com/a/X5jaiPi

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

LWB Vivaro, a short wheelbase is no use, can't get an 8 x 4 sheet in.

Vivaro pros: More comfortable, usually higher interior spec, quieter engine, galvanised body so can find older ones in very good condition.

Vivaro cons: although the lwb is about 30-40 cms longer than a swb transit, the actual cargo area is only about 20 cms longer, but the van is narrower so the cargo area of both is more or less the same, steering lock is not as good as transit so harder to park.